Looking for information about Woodseats past?

the passage the market and the cherry pie cafe were where the wetherspoons woodseats palace pub is now there werent many shops there but is was a short cut on to the dale as well.woodseats palace cinema was next to where blockbusters are now it was the first cinema my parents took me to in the 50s.

I used to terrorise that hood when I was a lad 60s 70s, big tree was our pub had many happy nights there,a relative of mine lived in the small cottages across from the big tree he worked at the factory behind them ,think it was Tysacs they made tools and things its now a netto or something, seem to think the first kfc in sheffield was at woodseats bit further down the road from were the present one is, I also worked at Jack Marshalls garage I did my apprenticeship there Happy days.

I went to Woodseats Junior School between 1951 and 1954. We lived originally in Olivet Road and then moved to the next street Helmton Road.

I can remember lots of neighbourhood and school friends such as Tony Hobson, Roy Stringer, Robert Smith, Anthony Hill, Geoff Howden, Philip Scaife, Alan Cooney, Peter Bird, Ian Murray, Brian Linley, Raymond Roberts. Richard and David Gomersall, Glyn Griffiths and many more.

In the 6 weeks holidays we spent all our time playing in Graves Park, fishing in the first pond before the parkies arrived, playing football and changing round when one side had scored 10 goals, making touch burners, scotch arrows, bird nesting.

The school teachers I remember were Pop Bennett, Mrs Collinson, a guy called Crooks?

How many of the really old shops do you remember on Woodseats "Bottom"

The drink shops one between the Chantrey and Woodseats Pubs, the other one just round the corner at the bottom of Haughton Road, Duncans at the top of Woodseats Road, Liptons Grocers at the top of the Dale,Rounds Newsagents opposite bottom of Chantrey Road,Spinks Bakery, Needham and Morton, Roberts and Wilde Cobblers at the top of the Dale, Coop Laundry, Hattersley and Davison, Snooker Club under the Chantrey Picture House.

I lived in Holmhirst Road and went to Grange Grammar school. remember walking to and fro trying not to slip on the ice in winter. I left to go to Newcastle but returned to marry at St Thomas a Becket R C on the hill.Then we went to Australia. There was a pub lower down the hill too. Are they all still there. Must come back to see sometime.

There was a dress shop on Woodsaets road, a friend from school Victoria?? her mother owned it. Anyone remember???

How many of the really old shops do you remember on Woodseats "Bottom"

The drink shops one between the Chantrey and Woodseats Pubs, the other one just round the corner at the bottom of Haughton Road, Duncans at the top of Woodseats Road, Liptons Grocers at the top of the Dale,Rounds Newsagents opposite bottom of Chantrey Road,Spinks Bakery, Needham and Morton, Roberts and Wilde Cobblers at the top of the Dale, Coop Laundry, Hattersley and Davison, Snooker Club under the Chantrey Picture House.

. . and a shop called Williams that sold all sorts, including stuff for pushbikes.

Archived