Looking for information about Woodseats past?

Jfish, were the cows from Ivy House Farm? There's a block of flats there now ....

In the 50s, my father had an allotment on what is now the crematorium grounds .. we used to go down to Barber's Field and play the same sort of games you and your friends did. We often used to "go on safari" the wild wheat and corn that was there used to grow high and we'd stalk one another through it.

We were never afraid to go anywhere or do anything and even stranger adults always looked out for you, the sun always shone too ... why isn't life like that anymore? :confused: is it cos I is old :)

Barbers field was an old haunt of mine, and the woods next to it, i dont know if its still there but at the top of the hill in the woods there used to be a wooden hut of some sort, we never dared go too close to it cos we thought a witch lived in it :hihi:, also we used to walk up and down the stream and if you walked up to the (what we called the dale) the path that goes down from the dale to the fraser estate, there is a bridge across the river, we used to hide under that and when people walked over it we used to say (in a deep voice), "who,s that trip trapping over my bridge" :hihi:. I dont think you could do that now as the river is full of rubbish :mad:. Great days, im talking 1970,s here btw.

• 1 year later...

I lived on Olivet Road, we used to sledge down it in winter, I went to both Woodseats Schools, I remember the Head, was it Roberts? He had a large car with running boards. Does anyone remember the wooden shop next to the police station, sold sweets.

I used to go to the Woodseats Palace, my Auntie Madge(Patterson), was the manageress, I used to get in for nothing.

We played in the woods on the way up to Graves Park, before the houses were built on the right going up Olivet Road my dad kept chickens opposite our house, number 87, he used to work for Castrol.

I was born in Olivet Road in 1943 and also went to both Woodseats Schools. The name Billam is known to me and my family. We lived at 45 Olivet the last house before the shop. We played in the "field" which was in between Olivet and Helmton and also played in the Woods which was also the path through to the top entrance of Graves Park at the top of Cobnar road!

The other people i remember living in Olivet were the Pattersons, Lawsons, Beddalls, Roberts, Wilde, Hobson, Bradshaw,Lawsons, Twiby,

Hi BigBladeRob

So many folks reminiscing we seem to have lost track of the original query. May I suggest a visit to http://www.picturesheffield.com which has some smashing photos of Woodseats (& they do say a picture paints a thousand words)!

p.s. Any one remember the the old grocery shop that is where the the stairlift centre is now, at the corner of Chesterfield Rd & Scarsdale Rd? They used to sell loose biscuits out of big square tins in front of the counter & if the tins were running low they used to let us kids have the broken ones at the bottom.

Hello Rob,

Don Patterson was my uncle, the Lawsons lived near us, so did the Bradshaws, I remember Mrs Twibey and the Beddalls, my dad worked for Castrol, he parked his van opposite our house. My mate was called Neville Boler, they now live in Chesterfield.

Hello Rob,

I lived at number 87, I was born in 1950, I left home in 1973 when I married, dad was Leslie Billam, he passed away in 1982 aged 62, Mum passed away 6 years ago aged 80, my brothers Mick and Chris both live at Woodseats, my sister Lesley lives at Parson Cross

Archived