Best places for young professionals to live

I agree with this ^^ :D

A few years ago Crookes seemed almost entirely student orientated. I think other than School Road and Western Rd, it's not the case anymore. Like you say, the number of dedicated student flats now springing up is a better option for many.

I wonder if there is a link between this and (at least as far as I can tell) slightly lower house prices in the Crookes area than you might expect given the general upward trend locally and nationally. There are quite a few three bed terraces coming on in that area around the 150k mark which wouldn't have happened previously. Perhaps the slackened student market has allowed this.

The term "young professional" is such a snobby term!!

It is an ironic term. So professional, are the professionals, many of them occupy bedsits and flat shares, or perhaps it is just the marketing of deluded landlords, that gives such an impression.

Surely a professional would have a decent home in a decent area, rather than try to sell the idea of a working class area with working class homes of minimum standards being 'up and coming' or 'more popular with the middle claaaaas' etc.

I wonder if there is a link between this and (at least as far as I can tell) slightly lower house prices in the Crookes area than you might expect given the general upward trend locally and nationally. There are quite a few three bed terraces coming on in that area around the 150k mark which wouldn't have happened previously. Perhaps the slackened student market has allowed this.

Yes, absolutely, I noticed this too because I wanted to buy around there a couple of years ago, but even though seemingly cheaper, still out of my reach.

I said on other threads a few years ago that there seemed to be a lot of houses for sale in and around the area I mentioned. Personally I think these were ones who saw the peak, and realised that all these applications for student accommodation buildings will affect trade/asset, and cleverly bolted.

Lots of available properties mean the prices will go down of course. I think this means it should be considered a good area to buy in at the moment.

It's got plenty of [busy] shops, still can maintain local pubs, excellent transport links, safe to walk around at any time, and close to the main hospitals/unis/town.

If I had the money, I would buy up there. (it's quite similar to how Hunters Bar/Ecclesall Rd downwards was 10-20 years ago). Walkley is perhaps just slightly less attractive, so I think you would get a similar property for about 10% less.

It is an ironic term. So professional, are the professionals, many of them occupy bedsits and flat shares, or perhaps it is just the marketing of deluded landlords, that gives such an impression.

Surely a professional would have a decent home in a decent area, rather than try to sell the idea of a working class area with working class homes of minimum standards being 'up and coming' or 'more popular with the middle claaaaas' etc.

Because someone who's just started work should obviously be able to afford a mid range house straight of the bat!

Yes, absolutely, I noticed this too because I wanted to buy around there a couple of years ago, but even though seemingly cheaper, still out of my reach.

I said on other threads a few years ago that there seemed to be a lot of houses for sale in and around the area I mentioned. Personally I think these were ones who saw the peak, and realised that all these applications for student accommodation buildings will affect trade/asset, and cleverly bolted.

Lots of available properties mean the prices will go down of course. I think this means it should be considered a good area to buy in at the moment.

That's the impression I got: lots of landlords off-loading property because of the increase in purpose-built student accommodation and so the prices have dropped accordingly.

Most of the "young professionals" I know who are looking to buy (quite a few) with a budget of around 150k are choosing between Crookes and Meersbrook (Hunter's Bar is way out of reach price-wise unless they've had deposits thrown at them by family). They seem to be the popular places at the moment. I'd choose between those two places myself, with the edge going to Meersbrook because Crookes always feels so windswept and the many students who still live there (despite the drop in numbers) aren't overly careful when putting bins away or maintaining front gardens etc and I hate street clutter/mess/ugliness if it can be avoided. Both are good places to buy thought with lots going for them.

Walkley seems slightly less desirable but still fine. A little too far to walk into town for my liking - and the hills! A few I know have considered Sharrow but have decided it's not a particularly nice place to live after spending time exploring the area. And as I said before, Woodseats and Hillsborough can feel pretty rough at times and are too far out for many.

Edited by amazon123

That's the impression I got: lots of landlords off-loading property because of the increase in purpose-built student accommodation and so the prices have dropped accordingly.

Most of the "young professionals" I know who are looking to buy (quite a few) with a budget of around 150k are choosing between Crookes and Meersbrook (Hunter's Bar is way out of reach price-wise unless they've had deposits thrown at them by family). They seem to be the popular places at the moment. I'd choose between those two places myself, with the edge going to Meersbrook because Crookes always feels so windswept and the many students who still live there (despite the drop in numbers) aren't overly careful when putting bins away or maintaining front gardens etc and I hate street clutter/mess/ugliness if it can be avoided. Both are good places to buy thought with lots going for them.

Walkley seems slightly less desirable but still fine. A little too far to walk into town for my liking - and the hills! A few I know have considered Sharrow but have decided it's not a particularly nice place to live after spending time exploring the area. And as I said before, Woodseats and Hillsborough can feel pretty rough at times and are too far out for many.

Meersbrook is about £10-20K less in average house price than Crookes/Walkley as well. Even when the market dropped, the houses around here held their peak values (£120K or so)

Also more homeowners are moving here to live, rather than to rent out, which is big plus to me. My friend just sold her place, and made it clear to the estate agent she didnt want developers to view or buy.

Meersbrook is about £10-20K less in average house price than Crookes/Walkley as well. Even when the market dropped, the houses around here held their peak values (£120K or so)

Also more homeowners are moving here to live, rather than to rent out, which is big plus to me. My friend just sold her place, and made it clear to the estate agent she didnt want developers to view or buy.

From what I can tell Meersbrook seems to be heavily owner-occupied which does seem to help with the general feel of an area. Certainly those larger houses that have been divvied up for rental seem to be the more unkempt properties.

It is still definitely cheaper than Crookes (even though in Crookes a number of houses are coming on around the 150k mark, 160-170k isn't unusual) whereas similar properties in good condition are currently being marketed around 140-145k in Meersbook. I would say this more or less comparable with much of Walkley where there is a large spread of prices from around 100-150k for the standard terrace. Obviously there are larger 3-bed terraces that go for more in all these areas (the 3-bed terraces at the bottom of Meersbrook Park are on for more like 190-200k although I can't see much difference other than they often have a hallway and a bit of extra space from an passageway overhang).

Why is it?

Why?

I think its because people who call themselves "young professional" see themselves as some kind of cut above the rest of their age and they couldnt possibly live in an error where plumbers, electricians etc live!

They seem to think being a "young professional" puts them in a different bracket, it certainly does not!!

Why?

I think its because people who call themselves "young professional" see themselves as some kind of cut above the rest of their age and they couldnt possibly live in an error where plumbers, electricians etc live!

They seem to think being a "young professional" puts them in a different bracket, it certainly does not!!

Well, I didnt know that plumbers and electricians were only allowed to live in certain areas?

To me a professional means anyone in employment and earning a living wage.

Well, I didnt know that plumbers and electricians were only allowed to live in certain areas?

To me a professional means anyone in employment and earning a living wage.

I think people who term themselves young professional try and put themselves apart from others.