Cracked Windscreens - any ideas?

Evening all :D

In the last few months, have had autoglass out three times....yes THREE!! For replacement windscreens because of large cracks that started as chips.

All from driving on the blimmin M18 full of stones from the recent widening works :rant:

Any idea how to reduce future incidence?

Getting a little tedious and expensive naa :help:

Thanks

Sol

In the last few months, have had autoglass out three times....yes THREE!! For replacement windscreens because of large cracks that started as chips.

All from driving on the blimmin M18 full of stones from the recent widening works :rant:

Thanks

Sol

Don't drive on the M18........:)

Thanks

Sol

Don't drive close to the vehicle in front.

Not much you can do fella, except fix chips as soon as they occur.

I'm replacing my windscreen next week after it got smashed by something on the M1 :(

Such a pain in the arse! :rant:

---------- Post added 23-05-2015 at 14:25 ----------

Don't drive on the M18........:)

A man's gotta eat

---------- Post added 23-05-2015 at 14:26 ----------

Don't drive close to the vehicle in front.

I don't.............

---------- Post added 23-05-2015 at 14:27 ----------

You can use the washers and wipers it does stop some of the stones hitting the screen.

Can't really have them scraping away on a dry surface for the entire journey - both ways. But thanks for the thought :)

Thanks

Sol

I used to go motor racing. For long events we would put tear off aminates over the screen. These could be ripped off at pit stops.

They can be bought from Glastec, Showtrax or Racing Optics. They should last several weeks and do away with the need for wipers most of the time. They would certainly prevent stone chips.

I used to go motor racing. For long events we would put tear off aminates over the screen. These could be ripped off at pit stops.

They can be bought from Glastec, Showtrax or Racing Optics. They should last several weeks and do away with the need for wipers most of the time. They would certainly prevent stone chips.

This is the reason I love Sheffield Forum! Thanks man. Will have a look see if feasible :)

---------- Post added 24-05-2015 at 13:11 ----------

If the original chip fits under a pound coin then Autoglass will come out and fix it without asking you for any money and without affecting your no claims with most insurance companies.

Thanks M :). Had had two chips fixed on the main body of the screen last year. The other 3 chipped and cracked almost immediately - didn't get a chance to fix

---------- Post added 24-05-2015 at 13:17 ----------

Found this

http://www.bodyguarduk.com/product.html

---------- Post added 24-05-2015 at 13:25 ----------

and this

http://www.granddesignsystems.co.uk/windscreens.html

Possibly a bit expensive for me at £275, as it's £100 / screen replacement at present. But great idea!