Laws for refilling gas bottles?

Hi People,

On my wheelchair I have a nitrous purge kit like they have on dragsters but instead of using nitrous in mine I can use Co2. Well yesterday I was ringing all over to try find someone who can refill it with Co2 for me and suppliers said they would only refill for people who have trade account. So instead I tried small shops and found one who offered to refill it for free.

I took the bottle down and after refilling he said "I apologise but after this once I won't be able to refill the bottle as it is over 10years out of date". Well Ive spoke to various companies such as the company who made the purge kit and the company who fitted the kit who both say that date shouldn't matter for Co2 as it doesn't reach the same pressures as NOS.

So does anyone know the actual laws when it comes to gas bottles or know where I could find them? Also anyone know where I could get it retested and re-dated instead of me having to buy another.

I think CO2 tanks are rated for a number of years by the manufacturer, then they need re-testing and re-certifying (no idea how you do that).

Have you thought maybe about seeing if it's possible to use welding CO2 gas??

Those bottles are relatively cheap and disposable.