1.15 Million for ex-council flat!

It's called Capitalism, where morals go out the window.

I'm sure I read one of your posts the other day where you made a terribly insulting lowball offer on a house which had been repossessed from a poor family. Morals out the window when capitalism and opportunity meet eh poppets. :hihi:

I'm sure I read one of your posts the other day where you made a terribly insulting lowball offer on a house which had been repossessed from a poor family. Morals out the window when capitalism and opportunity meet eh poppets. :hihi:

The owner was a solicitor who had been struck off! (Don't know what a solicitor has to do to get struck off!). :suspect: He rented it out for months and did a runner with the rent. The bank repossessed it, which is why it was over-priced.

I have no sympathy for banks.:gag:

The owner was a solicitor who had been struck off! (Don't know what a solicitor has to do to get struck off!). :suspect: He rented it out for months and did a runner with the rent. The bank repossessed it, which is why it was over-priced. I have no sympathy for banks.:gag:

So you're saying that if the house had been repossessed from a family you wouldn't have bought it had your lowball offer been accepted? Is that what you're saying poppet$? Watch that halo of yours, it might fall off when you wriggle.

Unfortunately it's called Capitalism and this is the way it works.

Woman walks into a store and hands the assistant a carton of milk to buy for her baby.

Another man comes in and says you've taken the last one off the shelf. I want that milk to bathe my feet in. Man tells the shop assistant, I'll offer you double the price for that milk. The assistant happily gives it to him for double the price.

It's called Capitalism, where morals go out the window.

Surely that's how it was in the former Soviet Bloc,only one shop and the only shop only had one carton of milk.

Capitalism - you go to the next shop and they are flogging it at £1 for two litres and it's so cheap we can be like Cleopatra and bathe in the stuff.

So what if he pays £1000 p/m to a "Tory Councillor". What's that got to do with anything.

Rent is dictated by the location and market rate. Wandsworth is a very popular area in Greater London. If your "friend" does not want to pay much they should move. They chose the property.

A quick search on just one property site shows 2500+ private rental properties under £1000 a month within 10 miles of Oxford Street. There are one bedroomed properties from 450 a month and bedsits for a little as 300 a month. Open up the travel distance a little further and there are even 2 bedroomed flat/houses falling into the <£1k bracket.

Expensive? yes. But so are all other Capital Cities if you choose to live close to the centre. £300? £450? Extortionate? NO.

As fully explained in post 21 the point is he shouldn't be profiteering from social housing at the tax payers expense.

Balham is zone 3 which isn't central. Cheapest on Rightmove is £390 PCM for bedsits or HMO's in zones 5 or 6, or no tube stations / poor transport connections. London is complex and much bigger than Sheffield. Living further field simply isn't feasible for everyone.

Surely that's how it was in the former Soviet Bloc,only one shop and the only shop only had one carton of milk.

Capitalism - you go to the next shop and they are flogging it at £1 for two litres and it's so cheap we can be like Cleopatra and bathe in the stuff.

Mass produced at the expense of animal welfare and the farmers themselves. Exploitation is at the heart of globalisation.

As fully explained in post 21 the point is he shouldn't be profiteering from social housing at the tax payers expense.

Balham is zone 3 which isn't central. Cheapest on Rightmove is £390 PCM for bedsits or HMO's in zones 5 or 6, or no tube stations / poor transport connections. London is complex and much bigger than Sheffield. Living further field simply isn't feasible for everyone.

I used to live in London on very modest wages. Having lived in both Zones 4 and 7 with a commute to Canary Wharf during my time I am well aware what is feasible for people and what most people have to do.

I never said "Central" I said Greater London. There is a difference. If you think that having a commute from a Zone 3 location to your place of work is a negative, you clearly how no idea how London works. Some of my former colleague's would have killed at that chance.

Location + demand + facilities dictates what someone can charge. If councils and social housing organisations are choosing to use this private rental properties because they own supply is not adequate whose fault is that? Why should the landlord have to sacrifice below market rate just because the organisations don't have enough properties?

People need to stop making out that London is this alien world where only the rich and privileged can afford to live. It simply isn't. Just like everywhere else in the world. You get the best you can for the money you can afford.

There are plenty of 2 bed apartments up in Sheffield / Manchester / Leeds which come with a £1000 / £1500 per month price tag. Similarly, in certain Greater London or border locations it is actually possible to find 2 bed accommodation for as little as £600-£650 per month.

Expensive? Yes - but its a Capital. What do people expect.

The fact is, for all the belly aching going off about "extortion" figures suggest that around 9.2 million people work in the Greater London area. That's 9.2 million who seemingly can afford to live and have a "feasible" commute every day. They cannot all be on the poverty line and priced out can they?

Edited by ECCOnoob