Was the Poll Tax really fair?

I suppose to work out how fair it was, there is no use comparing 6 people

in a house in Pitsmoor to two in a Dore mansion.

Lets compare six people in a house on say Acacia Ave. Next door in an identical house lives a widow alone.

And the charge is for services provided by the council remember, not a tax on how big your garden is etc.

Stamp duty is a tax on how valuable your home is so that's taken care of.

Water rates are based on the size the house, but with the option to have a meter and PAYG. Is that fair?

Lets compare six people in a house on say Acacia Ave. Next door in an identical house lives a widow alone.

And the charge is for services provided by the council remember, not a tax on how big your garden is etc.

Water rates are based on the size the house, but with the option to have a meter and PAYG. Is that fair?

so why should 5 or6 people pay 5 or 6 times more than a single person to receive the same service ?

so why should 5 or6 people pay 5 or 6 times more than a single person to receive the same service ?

Because it is the person who gets the service, not the house. We are all entitled to the services of the council as individuals, can you imagine

if only the ratepayer could have use of Police, Fire, Refuse collection, footpaths, street lighting and too much more to list.

At the time of the PT, it affected me negatively. Even so, I could see the fairness of it in a common sense way. The thing that annoyed me was

the way it was implemented in an unfair way, with little empathy for those who were likely to struggle.

Refined and implemented equitably it could have been fair.

Edited by andrejuan

Agreed, with a couple of differences:

Council tax is based on the value of the property (banded).

Water charges are based on the old rateable value system which was based on the rentable value of the property.

Because it is the person who gets the service, not the house.

so would they have been allowed 5 lots of bins to collect their refuse in ?

---------- Post added 25-05-2015 at 09:56 ----------

No, I think that if your are in full time education that you have a good reason for exemption.

ok should this cost be passed onto the landlords ?