Was the Poll Tax really fair?

Poll tax council tax, call it what you will, even reductions are not applied fairly. Small...not 50% .... reduction for living alone.

No reduction at all for no-one living in a privately owned house.

How the hell that works I'll never know.

if 5 people are sharing a house and the tax is levied on the amount of people sharing this house (5 x people)

then 2 people sharing a house are only paying twice the amount for the same services what part of that don't you understand :huh: tell me why 5 people against 2 people would use more of these services :huh:

not the same service tho' is it?

5 potential mugging victims v 2, so likely to use more police time

5 potential house fires if they cook/smoke individually v 2, so more need for fire service

5 people borrowing books from the library v 2

5 potential cars needing road infrastructure v 2

etc etc

the only one I can immediately think of that supports your argument is 1 bin per house

not the same service tho' is it?

5 potential mugging victims v 2, so likely to use more police time

5 potential house fires if they cook/smoke individually v 2, so more need for fire service

5 people borrowing books from the library v 2

5 potential cars needing road infrastructure v 2

etc etc

the only one I can immediately think of that supports your argument is 1 bin per house

Well said but as I learned a long time ago don't waste too much time trying to explain to those that do not want to understand ...or can't bless em.

A fair system is one in which everyone using the services pays for the services.

Does someone owning a massive garden use more council services than someone living in a flat?

A fair system is one in which everyone pays for what they use.

A fair system is one in which everyone pays for what they use.

A fair system would indeed be one where people only pay for the services that they use or from which they benefit ... or in some cases ..could potentially benefit.