Cyclist vs Bus due to ignoring red light

http://nelson-haha.com/

I call BS on the brake cable snapping. He claims:

It just doesn't add up.

The bus driver states the cable snapped-

A bus driver has spoken out in defence of a cyclist who apparently skipped a red light and crashed into him.

Gary Wilkinson commented on Manchester Evening News’s Facebook page saying the cyclist’s brake cable snapped as he approached the lights.

He said: ‘I was the driver of the bus and just to let everyone know I parked just round the corner and ran back. The cyclist was very lucky and only suffered a cut to one of his knuckles. Also in the cyclists defence his brake cable snapped and he couldn’t stop. Scariest thing that ever happened to me.

This is clearly not a case of 'red light jumping' at all- rider was on a fixie, his mistake was he was going too fast in wet conditions and couldn't stop when his brake failed. No experienced cyclist with functioning eyes and a brain could have failed to spot the bus and the total impossibility of avoiding the bus.

This is clearly not a case of 'red light jumping' at all- rider was on a fixie, his mistake was he was going too fast in wet conditions and couldn't stop when his brake failed. No experienced cyclist with functioning eyes and a brain could have failed to spot the bus and the total impossibility of avoiding the bus.

Ive seen plenty of cyclists pull plenty of stupid stunts almost daily And yes, i see car drivers do stupid things too (before anyone starts lol ). Dont for a second think he wasnt going for a non existent gap because he clearly was. The brake cable lie is just that, a lie. He blamed the weather, the cable, the road, possibly even Thatcher but lets not beat around the bush. He was an arrogant cyclist who almost paid for his arrogance with his own life.

As it turned out it was just a funny clip of another idiot bike rider so i guess we need to be thankful for that

Ive seen plenty of cyclists pull plenty of stupid stunts almost daily And yes, i see car drivers do stupid things too (before anyone starts lol ). Dont for a second think he wasnt going for a non existent gap because he clearly was. The brake cable lie is just that, a lie. He blamed the weather, the cable, the road, possibly even Thatcher but lets not beat around the bush. He was an arrogant cyclist who almost paid for his arrogance with his own life.

As it turned out it was just a funny clip of another idiot bike rider so i guess we need to be thankful for that

Had you waited 6 or7 minutes before posting you may not have!

This is clearly not a case of 'red light jumping' at all

No this is a case of red light jumping - the cyclist went through a red light. However it wasnt something that he wanted to do I'm sure for the reasons you say, although he's still the responsible party in terms of paying for the damage.

For me it was the distance he was from the red light, the speed he was already doing, and the way he pedaled to go faster. I'm sure many cyclists look ahead, see how long the lights have been green and can accurately gauge when they'll change and adjust speed accordingly - especially in the wet.

I think he's trying to do a bit of damage limitation, lest he get identified.

For me it was the distance he was from the red light, the speed he was already doing, and the way he pedaled to go faster. I'm sure many cyclists look ahead, see how long the lights have been green and can accurately gauge when they'll change and adjust speed accordingly - especially in the wet.

I think he's trying to do a bit of damage limitation, lest he get identified.

He was peddling because the back wheel was fixed, so you use this to try to slow down. If this wasn't the case why would he be peddling, he'd be more likely to be free wheeling.

Just watched it again, and he appears to have been planning to run the light, at least from what I can see.

If he was trying to stop (and it's a fixie, I know), then he also had plenty of time to swerve. In fact he didn't appear to be slowing down at all, and as he passes the motorcycle he might even have been accelerating, and the light was already red, that was from a good 20 metres away, so if he'd been on the brake and it had already failed he's got plenty of time to see the bus and plan an alternative.

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 14:51 ----------

Nobody has commented on the taxi just in front of him that also runs the red light...

The brake cable lie is just that, a lie....

A lie told by the bus driver who went back to check the cyclist? Why would the bus driver collude in that lie?

I'd say the chances of a bus driver helping a cyclist with such a lie, is considerably lower than the chances of a brake cable snapping on a fixie.

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 18:50 ----------

No this is a case of red light jumping - the cyclist went through a red light. However it wasnt something that he wanted to do I'm sure for the reasons you say, although he's still the responsible party in terms of paying for the damage.

Really? Your definition of 'red light jumping' is literally the act of passing through a red light for any reason, even if it's an unintentional act (such as a snapped brake cable on a fixie)?

So if you got rammed from behind while waiting at a red, and you got pushed through the red by said ramming, you'd have 'jumped the red'?

A lie told by the bus driver who went back to check the cyclist? Why would the bus driver collude in that lie?

I'd say the chances of a bus driver helping a cyclist with such a lie, is considerably lower than the chances of a brake cable snapping on a fixie.

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 18:50 ----------

Really? Your definition of 'red light jumping' is literally the act of passing through a red light for any reason, even if it's an unintentional act (such as a snapped brake cable on a fixie)?

So if you got rammed from behind while waiting at a red, and you got pushed through the red by said ramming, you'd have 'jumped the red'?

Yup. Don't pass red. It's not safe. It's also the law. Strict liability and all that.

Saves all the mealie mouthed whining from the cyclists that like to claim it should be allowed because they are special and allowances should be made for their inability to ride properly.