Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

I see that since 2008 Trees for cities .org has planted over 12,000 trees in Sheffield often in areas where the amount of trees has been generally lower that the area around Endcliffe Park.

I also see that Sheffield Council (with aid from others) has planted 50,000 trees in Sheffield this year.

Surely in an area with many existing trees in the park and the close proximity of many more (if the walk towards Wiremill Dam and those in Bingham Park behind the houses on Rustlings Road are included), the removal of 12 trees isn't going to threaten the atmosphere of the area.

Whilst in an ideal world they would be removed over a period of time we don't live in an ideal world.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

I do not believe our council would not go round cutting trees down without good reason and on this occasion I trust the expertise that they have at their disposal

Then you must be both ignorant

And stupid

In equal measure :rolleyes:

Edited by Solomon1

Then you must be both ignorant

And stupid

In equal measure :rolleyes:

And he's unfamiliar with the adage two negatives make a positive Solomon so he has said that he believed the council would go round cutting down trees without good reason

Indeed you do. And when it IS done, the ecosystem, ecological and economic benefits that the trees provide CONSISTENTLY outweigh the costs, over the life time of the tree. SCC need to be paying for i-tree analyses from the 2.2 billion allocated in the PFI contract with Amey, so that appropriate valuations can be placed on our street tree resource, an important part of the Urban Forest and also Sheffield's Green Infrastructure.

---------- Post added 16-09-2015 at 23:59 ----------

The Star today: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-tree-campaigners-set-up-park-camp-as-controversy-grows-1-7462987

The analysis will look at the whole life of the tree. I would assume then when a tree is young the cost outweighs the benefits, and when a tree outgrows its location the same occurs due to ongoing maintenance.

As far as the council is concerned these trees will have a benefit as will every tree in Sheffield, they will also have a cost, weather you chose to deny that or not. When you look at the whole picture carrying out tree replenishment as you improve the footway makes financial sense and also helps to ensure future generations can enjoy the same mature trees you have.

Re my bold above.

No!

What felling that does need to be done should be phased over decades, done in a sustainable manner that maintains, so far as is reasonably practicable, the shape, size and distribution of canopy cover (which determines the magnitude and value of ecosystem services).

Mindfullness has answered your financial questions elsewhere.

You may not agree with the council is doing but you must at least comprehend that the way they are doing it seems sensible? Replace the tree, replace the footway, done.

The felling wont and cant be phased over decades, its just impracticable, its also impracticable to keep replacing the footway, closing the road and causing congestion.

I see these selfish NIMBY's have now pitched up illegally in a public park.

Before operating keyboard please engage brain!

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 14:31 ----------

I see that since 2008 Trees for cities .org has planted over 12,000 trees in Sheffield often in areas where the amount of trees has been generally lower that the area around Endcliffe Park.

I also see that Sheffield Council (with aid from others) has planted 50,000 trees in Sheffield this year.

Surely in an area with many existing trees in the park and the close proximity of many more (if the walk towards Wiremill Dam and those in Bingham Park behind the houses on Rustlings Road are included), the removal of 12 trees isn't going to threaten the atmosphere of the area.

Whilst in an ideal world they would be removed over a period of time we don't live in an ideal world.

Sources please.

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 14:32 ----------

Considering the crisis in Syria etc the destruction of a few trees does seem somewhat trivial.

Do you have any idea how far from the truth you are with that statement!

You may not agree with the council is doing but you must at least comprehend that the way they are doing it seems sensible? Replace the tree, replace the footway, done.

The felling wont and cant be phased over decades, its just impracticable, its also impracticable to keep replacing the footway, closing the road and causing congestion.

Are you having a laugh? There are no trees on Colley Road and the road was fully redone about 6 months ago and there are cracks right across the roda every 6 feet and the road is a at least half a mile long. The reason there are so many problems with roads and footpaths is the crap job done by Amey. The footpaths on my road have been patched at least 3 times since April and there are no trees on here either and haven't been since at least 1955