Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

Few things worth mentioning at this juncture:

1. SCC should not have condoned a wholesale felling program, that will negatively and permanently change the face of Sheffield's streets. It is not acceptable that they are acting against current best practice guidance and recommendations for the management of Green Infrastructure.

2. It is not acceptable that we cannot place a value on what has been lost, because the proper assessments and valuations have not been performed by SCC, because their GIS computer system is so outdated.

2. It is not OK that SCC have minimally involved local communities, when making generational changes to their local environment. Removing trees that people love, with paltry warning, causing a great deal of stress and upset that is ongoing.

3. It is not OK that the dozen or so young trees planted by Amey on Furnival Gate are now mostly dying and have just been left in situ as Amey consider their work to be done.

In my opinion, SCC are acting in a negligent fashion, causing harm and damage to people's health and well being. In my opinion, Amey's work is consistently substandard and their aftercare is entirely missing or shoddy. I believe Sheffield citizens deserve much better than this.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 09:23 ----------

And then there's the 50,000 new trees which are being planted as part of an increase in woodland trees, which started last January. 50,000 equates to a 2.5% increase

Which is great! But completely IRRELEVANT - we are talking about street trees, not woodland.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 10:02 ----------

Furthermore, those 50,000 saplings that Fox's lumbering propaganda machine keep labouring in the local press, are saplings planted 2M apart. 50% of those will go in the thinning out process. Fox is an ignorant buffoon.

Edited by Mindfulness

So just over 1% of Sheffield's trees are being replaced under the streets ahead programme. (1.35% based on the usual estimate of 2m trees in Sheffield).

Edit. And then there's the 50,000 new trees which are being planted as part of an increase in woodland trees, which started last January. 50,000 equates to a 2.5% increase.

So, overall, there is a planned increase in Sheffield trees. It looks like SCC are doing more good than bad.

Can you quantify the difference between a 100 year old mature elm and a 5 year old ornamental cherry?

Then you must be both ignorant

And stupid

In equal measure :rolleyes:

If the attitude shown on here reflects how the protesters have approached the issue then I am not surprised that the protest is doomed to fail.

In the grand scheme of things whatever the outcome it will not change my life and will not effect my property value. I see the replacement program albeit overdue the most cost effective, quickest and most effective way of dealing with these old trees, the roads and pavements will then become safe for the whole community to enjoy.

]Is there a STAG twitter account I can follow?[/b] If not, why not?!

Please don't condemn me to reading through this thread for updates.

I do believe it's coming soon!

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 17:21 ----------

If the attitude shown on here reflects how the protesters have approached the issue then I am not surprised that the protest is doomed to fail.

In the grand scheme of things whatever the outcome it will not change my life and will not effect my property value. I see the replacement program albeit overdue the most cost effective, quickest and most effective way of dealing with these old trees, the roads and pavements will then become safe for the whole community to enjoy.

All this from he,or she, who said, "It is my opinion that the trees are a mess and have caused considerable damage to the environment."

A more intelligent contributor would perhaps know when to call it a day and disappear from this thread!

All this from he,or she, who said, "It is my opinion that the trees are a mess and have caused considerable damage to the environment."

A more intelligent contributor would perhaps know when to call it a day and disappear from this thread!

...well iv'e got news for you and the rest of your clique, I happen to have an opinion and choose to voice it on this forum. So again if you choose to continue with your petty and immature comments then that's fine.

I am sure when all the hysteria dies down you may see by applying some perspective replacing 12 trees for the sake of public safety is not such a big deal.

...well iv'e got news for you and the rest of your clique, I happen to have an opinion and choose to voice it on this forum. So again if you choose to continue with your petty and immature comments then that's fine.

I am sure when all the hysteria dies down you may see by applying some perspective replacing 12 trees for the sake of public safety is not such a big deal.

You say "petty and immature"...I say quite apposite in view of your preposterous statement my remarks referred to!

I stand by what I said!

One last thing...because there is only so many times you can point out the obvious...I have been talking about trees in the thousands! A lot more than the 12 on Rustlings Road!

DO YOU GET IT YET?

Few things worth mentioning at this juncture:

<snip>

[/color]

Which is great! But completely IRRELEVANT - we are talking about street trees, not woodland.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 10:02 ----------

A<more snip>n.

You keep conflating roadside trees with the total urban forest. Don't be surprised when someone runs with it.

The roadside trees are only a small part of Sheffield's trees. It is very relevant

There you go again insulting people who hold a different opinion.

Anyway, that said, I actually went and had a look at these trees on Friday and they are like saplings compared to the ones at S8, also the damage to pavements is far less so I cannot really understand the council or Amey giving priority to these particular trees.

Before operating keyboard please engage brain!

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 14:31 ----------

Sources please.

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 14:32 ----------

Do you have any idea how far from the truth you are with that statement!

re post 239 SWAMI requesting sources

1 I think the answer might be in the name treesforcities.org.uk

2 Sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk web site

or to put it simply try typing tree planting in sheffield 2015 into Google(other search engines are available)

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 23:53 ----------

Can you quantify the difference between a 100 year old mature elm and a 5 year old ornamental cherry?

95 years.

Tell me what would people have said if the trees on Rustlings Road were suffering from a disease and had to be felled. Would there be protest camps in the park