Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

We are not talking about 100 year-old trees in Sheffield.

Any good tree manager will have a rolling replacement programme that is constantly removing 50 or 60 year-old trees with young standards.

The fact that a city may have been negligent in not having an adequate rolling replacement programme does not change the fact that some of these old trees have to go.

You are ploughing something of a lone furrow with these opinions.

Academics at both universities, the Woodland Trust and other organisations all provided hard evidence to disprove your statement.

There are many trees in Sheffield that are well over 100 years of age and they are healthy and will double their age if well looked after.

I'm open to be proved wrong.

I made an edit to my post before your reply appeared ..... I totally agree.

The next Tree Forum at the Town Hall is due to take place on the 2nd September. You should attend if it's possible and see for yourself. It's a public meeting so no invite is necessary.

I believe it starts at 5pm.

The next Tree Forum at the Town Hall is due to take place on the 2nd September. You should attend if it's possible and see for yourself. It's a public meeting so no invite is necessary.

I believe it starts at 5pm.

Hello old friend :wave:

I commend you for remaining so calm and focussed, Swami

When dealing with such a mountain of ignorance and stupidity

Its making my head explode!! :gag:

Hello old friend :wave:

I commend you for remaining so calm and focussed, Swami

When dealing with such a mountain of ignorance and stupidity

Its making my head explode!! :gag:

Hi Solomon, calm calm floppy floppy!

So much anger and frustration is not good for you. Look after yourself! :thumbsup:

If Ruslings Rd is a candidate for tree felling then Western Rd, Crookes must be a dead cert.

Some of the trees and their roots occupy more than half the walkway, and when the walkway is a little over a metre wide, anyone

with a toddler and a pram or a little old lady/gentleman have very real hazards to negotiate.

Occasionally Amey come along and patch up with asphalt or concrete, so now there is a mix of tarmac, broken paving slabs and concrete,

and quite frankly it looks a mess.

It may have been OK fifty years ago but some trees need replacing.

Street view link:

https://goo.gl/z5LgcN

It may have been OK fifty years ago but some trees need replacing

*Sigh*

You can deal with pavements

Without felling valuable old trees dude

Open your mind

Have a look at what other councils are doing

http://hounslowhighways.org/index.php?p=122

"The borough has a legacy of over 11,000 street trees and Hounslow Highways is committed to maximising their life expectancy within the urban environment. Our trees are actively growing and changing in this hard surfaced environment and Hounslow Highways will accommodate the tree and design the footpath accordingly"

Freedom of information request it? :)

Because SCC are a bunch of blithering idiots :nod:

There is absolutely NO REASON for these trees to come down

Other than our lame council are so behind the times

That they have absolutely NO IDEA what their duty of care is

To Sheffield's old trees :rant:

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 23:09 ----------

We cannot chop down all of Sheffield's old trees

Just because your mother is blind Ghozer

That's just ridiculous!!

Surely you must see that?

Is that even what she wants?!

Is there a reason why you're

breaking your sentences up

into paragraph's

like this

?

You are ploughing something of a lone furrow with these opinions.

Academics at both universities, the Woodland Trust and other organisations all provided hard evidence to disprove your statement.

There are many trees in Sheffield that are well over 100 years of age and they are healthy and will double their age if well looked after.

I'm open to be proved wrong.

He's not a lone furrow; other people think the same thing. A couple of opinions I've remembered tree surgeon friends telling me (well before the recent controversy exploded):

1. A hardwood tree typically grows for thirty years, stands for thirty years, and declines for thirty years
  2. Sheffield is full of trees that are so old they're decrepit

Or to put it another way: trees don't last for ever. They do get older and less healthy, and do need removing in the end.

He's not a lone furrow; other people think the same thing. A couple of opinions I've remembered tree surgeon friends telling me (well before the recent controversy exploded):

1. A hardwood tree typically grows for thirty years, stands for thirty years, and declines for thirty years
  2. Sheffield is full of trees that are so old they're decrepit

Or to put it another way: trees don't last for ever. They do get older and less healthy, and do need removing in the end.

Re my bold.

Read this link and have the grace to understand why I cannot take what you and your "tree surgeon" friends have to say on this issue.

I've done my utmost to be as polite as I can in responding this far but be aware that I'm getting fed up of contributors who don't seem to know the difference between opinion and fact.

http://www.britishhardwood.co.uk/tree-life-expectancy/67/

I do agree 100% with your last paragraph!