Martial art to get fit

Ralph,

All I'm saying is we will get you fit ;)

One of our instructors used to be 14 stone ( not muscle either lol)

He is now an ISKA champion , a 2nd degree black belt and his fight weight is now between 9.5 and 10 stone ;)

I know you're not bothered about the fighting side of things but believe me we will get you fit ;)

Ring 07775914155 to ask more questions

Farhad

I have to agree. Kickboxing is as good a way of getting fit & losing weight as any.

Looking at all the pre-conditions you are setting down and what your stated needs are I'd suggest you attend 2 or 3 Circuit training sessions weekly (Boot Camp seems to be the latest buzz word for Circuit training these days). Martial Arts require a degree of commitment, whereas you seem a bit laissez faire about things.

I've attended several "Boot Camps" at Hillsborough Leisure Centre lately and their perfect for your requirements.

Give the Martial Arts a swerve

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with " giving martial arts a swerve "

Martial arts is for everyone or at least it should be

It shouldn't just be for your " hard guys" or your " dave the street fighter"

Sport for everyone is how I see it

That's the sentiment echoed at AFK

Well the original poster did say " I do not care about self defence at all" adding that he didn't want to , be doing thousands of kicks and punches. He also wants to lose weight and get fit. So why do a martial art ?

Ps Is kickboxing a Martial Art , because any fool can kick and punch ?

Well the original poster did say " I do not care about self defence at all" adding that he didn't want to , be doing thousands of kicks and punches. He also wants to lose weight and get fit. So why do a martial art ?

Ps Is kickboxing a Martial Art , because any fool can kick and punch ?

Sounds a bit troll-ish; any fool can kick and punch, but not very well.

---------- Post added 12-06-2015 at 00:33 ----------

Hi guys!

Thanks for all replies! I think it's true that if I want to get fit, I need to rethink my life, instead of just participating one sport activity. I've noticed now that I've become so lazy, even short walk to city centre, which is close for me, makes me tired sometimes so I prefer to drive everywhere. I used to do ABS in home but I don't remember when I did some exercises in home..

Wickercamp looks nice but I don't like an idea of fighting with someone..I understand that there is a safe environment but I just don't feel it.

I was reading similar topics on forum and found this:

http://sheffieldkickboxingclub.co.uk/

Do you recommend this place? What I can see on their website, I don't have to fight with anyone at all and it looks like exhaustive activity!

That gym has a good reputation, so no harm in trying it and see if it provides the exercise you want. No pressure on you to fight competitively, and a friendly atmosphere from what I've heard, so could be good for you.

• 1 month later...
Sounds a bit troll-ish; any fool can kick and punch, but not very well.

---------- Post added 12-06-2015 at 00:33 ----------

That gym has a good reputation, so no harm in trying it and see if it provides the exercise you want. No pressure on you to fight competitively, and a friendly atmosphere from what I've heard, so could be good for you.

Thanks Ade65

That's right we don't push anybody to fight or even to spar or clinch.

We've got classes for all kinds of people.

Women's classes

Kids classes

Beginners classes

Fighters classes

Oh and our Fighters currently have a 90% win ratio !!!

That way if you become an AFK Fighter you know you'll be on the " Winning side"

Hi,

For what you are looking for, I would recommend Wicker Camp Thai boxing gym in wicker arches. Thai boxing training provides excellent cardio and strength conditioning.

The gym itself has an excellent reputation and has produced many national and international champions. It is spacious and well equipped, and is very welcoming for beginners. Fairly cheap too! google them for more info on the website

Hope this helps

Ralph,

All I'm saying is we will get you fit ;)

One of our instructors used to be 14 stone ( not muscle either lol)

He is now an ISKA champion , a 2nd degree black belt and his fight weight is now between 9.5 and 10 stone ;)

I know you're not bothered about the fighting side of things but believe me we will get you fit ;)

Ring 07775914155 to ask more questions

Farhad

I thought the o p said do not try to "recommend me your own club"

There's a new group just started up at Crookes Social Club; I think it's a Monday night and I believe it's self defence based but I'm not 100% sure of its 'aims'. If you give the club a ring 0114 266 0114 I'm sure they'll be able to tell you more/point you in the right direction.