From 1st July-changes to cost of certain numbers

Apparently, from 1st July 2015 there is going to be changes to the cost of calling certain numbers beginning 084 087 09 etc. There is going to be what`s referred to as an access charge and a service charge.

I also understand that it is going to be free to call an 0800 number from a mobile (just like it is at the moment from a land line).

I`ve only had a quick look at the info sent to me by my phone provider. There is a bit of info in this link, and probably plenty online.

http://www.ukcalling.info/

Virtually every consumer and company in the country uses service numbers in some way. People use them to call businesses and Government agencies, make payments for services and vote on TV shows.

Currently, callers are given information such as:

"Calls will cost x pence per minute from a BT line. Calls may vary from other landlines and calls from mobiles may cost considerably more."

Under the new structure, Ofcom expects call cost descriptions to follow a format such as:

"Calls will cost x pence per minute, plus your phone company's access charge."

Well, I'll be damned! It actually sounds almost like an improvement.

Virtually every consumer and company in the country uses service numbers in some way. People use them to call businesses and Government agencies, make payments for services and vote on TV shows.

Currently, callers are given information such as:

"Calls will cost x pence per minute from a BT line. Calls may vary from other landlines and calls from mobiles may cost considerably more."

Under the new structure, Ofcom expects call cost descriptions to follow a format such as:

"Calls will cost x pence per minute, plus your phone company's access charge."

Well, I'll be damned! It actually sounds almost like an improvement.

Its not an improvement for me, 0845 and 0870 numbers were included in my phone package. From 1st July I will have to pay for them :rant:

Its not an improvement for me, 0845 and 0870 numbers were included in my phone package. From 1st July I will have to pay for them :rant:

My advice (unless you have already had the situation verified) is to check and confirm with your supplier. The reason I say this is because I also have 0845 & 0870 included in my package. My 12 months contract expires next week. If I don`t negotiate a new cost for the package that I`ve been receiving, the service just rolls on with no charges for 0845/0870. I confirmed this yesterday evening (my provider is EE)

If I renew the contract for another 12 months, I get a reduced monthly cost on the package, and that is the only difference. It`s worth making the phone call for piece of mind.

My advice (unless you have already had the situation verified) is to check and confirm with your supplier. The reason I say this is because I also have 0845 & 0870 included in my package. My 12 months contract expires next week. If I don`t negotiate a new cost for the package that I`ve been receiving, the service just rolls on with no charges for 0845/0870. I confirmed this yesterday evening (my provider is EE)

If I renew the contract for another 12 months, I get a reduced monthly cost on the package, and that is the only difference. It`s worth making the phone call for piece of mind.

Already been on to Talktalk and they won't budge over the 0845 and 0870 numbers.

The email they sent me states

Clearer call rates for everyone

On the 1st July 2015, the communications regulator Ofcom is introducing a new initiative called UK Calling. UK Calling is designed to make call charges easier for everyone to understand. Calls to Freephone numbers starting with 0800 and 0808 will now be free from mobile phones just as they are from landlines, and calls to 08, 09 and 118 numbers will be broken down into two parts:

• An access charge - TalkTalk will charge 5p per minute from your landline

• A service charge - the company you're calling decides how much this charge will be

For more details please visit ukcalling.info

Your TalkTalk call plan

From 1st July 2015, we're removing 0845 and 0870 numbers from your inclusive landline calls. They will now consist of the access charge from TalkTalk and the service charge from the company you called.

The cheeky gits have also increased my Phone & Broadband package by over 100% from 23 June 2015, while I am still in contract (my contract finishes 15 August 2015).

It looks like I will be looking elsewhere.

It also says in their email

It's important to us that you keep getting the best value possible by being on the right package. If you'd like to change or cancel anything without charge or penalty, you'll need to call us on 0870 444 1820 within 30 days of receiving this email.

Interesting - so I wonder if their 0870 number is now money making when it used to be free if you had their phone (landline) package?

There is awlays 'saynoto0870.com' but there is not always an alternative number.

For a landline number for TT try this instead - it worked for me:

020 3441 5550

You get the same options menu where you have to put your landline number in followed by # key.