Police refuse to chase helmet-less motorcycle perps

To be fair to the police, their oath is to protect life and limb above anything else. Chasing someone on a motorbike who is not wearing a helmet is likely to end up in someone getting seriously hurt, just as likely to be an innocent bystander as the biker if as they have that little concern for their own safety then they are unlikely to care to much about other people's.

Seems like a fairly self solving problem to me.

Scumbag steals someones bike.

Scumbag rides dangerously and refuses to stop for police.

Scumbag crashes bike.

No more Scumbag.

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 11:48 ----------

just as likely to be an innocent bystander as the biker if as they have that little concern for their own safety then they are unlikely to care to much about other people's.

That is very true.

However a criminal driving a car is just as much of a hazard to innocent people, and the police are more than willing to chase them.

Seems like a fairly self solving problem to me.

Scumbag steals someones bike.

Scumbag rides dangerously and refuses to stop for police.

Scumbag crashes bike.

No more Scumbag.

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 11:48 ----------

That is very true.

However a criminal driving a car is just as much of a hazard to innocent people, and the police are more than willing to chase them.

Not through an area where they believe a crash would harm innocent bystanders they wouldn't. There would not be a police chase through Sheffield city centre at high speed for example unless the police believed the danger to the public was greater by NOT chasing the car. Similar thing applies to the biker. Risk assessment. But yeah totally agreed I can almost guarantee the coppers nearby would have loved to go chase him but sometimes it's far better not to however frustrating that is.

The problem being that if the police did chase them and they fell off and died the police would be blamed by folk like the OP for causing their death.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't - the police are stuck between a rock and a hard place and I feel sorry for them tbh.

Not through an area where they believe a crash would harm innocent bystanders they wouldn't. There would not be a police chase through Sheffield city centre at high speed for example unless the police believed the danger to the public was greater by NOT chasing the car. Similar thing applies to the biker. Risk assessment. But yeah totally agreed I can almost guarantee the coppers nearby would have loved to go chase him but sometimes it's far better not to however frustrating that is.

I am certain this is the case too.

To be fair to the police, their oath is to protect life and limb above anything else. Chasing someone on a motorbike who is not wearing a helmet is likely to end up in someone getting seriously hurt, just as likely to be an innocent bystander as the biker if as they have that little concern for their own safety then they are unlikely to care to much about other people's.

Er no it doesn't.

"I, ... of ... do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law."

If the police are not chasing them then I want to knwo why they are not upholding the rule of law and preventing offences thanks.

If someone take a helmet off so what? It's their choice. The only reason the police should be breaking off a pursuit is if there is danger to bystanders. The police should attempt to apprehend someone with the minimum risk to them, but if that risk means that they are going to get brain damaged, then so be it I'm afraid.