Any one out there who used to live in High Green Sheffield

Hello every one

I have just joined the Forum I used to live in High Green near Chapeltown Sheffield. Up to the age of 10 is any one out there who remember s this area 50 /60 yeas ago

A lot has happened in between am now in the states and happened to talk to some one from Sheffield who gave me this contact site

Would be interesting to talk about the good old days. Ha!

Keith43

I lived there from being born in the 1960's up until 2002 . My parents are still there. Its changed a lot over the years with lots of houses built, its no longer the little village where everyone knows each other and lots of wide open spaces. I still like it there, don't get me wrong, its just a lot busier.

Thanks Fogey

That was quick You say no love of the place. Has it got run down ? I lived on Warral rd coal fires frost on inside of metal framed windows :,black and white tiny TVs. Watched Coronation live remember went to school 1 hours walk down hill played in streams Used to live in an ex Italian Pow camp not sure where that was not far. That was 50s ,boys scouts/clubs some where

Any way thanks for tip about Google I would still like to know what you think about the general area , inferstructure , crime , standard of living etc never lived in Sheffield but can remember old trams , steel works and bomb sites . Last visit 2 years ago liked the place

Miss a good pint of real ale Can smell the Tetleys brewery

Keith43

---------- Post added 29-05-2015 at 15:08 ----------

I lived there from being born in the 1960's up until 2002 . My parents are still there. Its changed a lot over the years with lots of houses built, its no longer the little village where everyone knows each other and lots of wide open spaces. I still like it there, don't get me wrong, its just a lot busier.

Sorry about that. My first time using this site. Which I must say looks very good

Well thanks for your answer Kath196 not sure if you can read my answer to Fogey

I can well imagine the place must have changed and more traffic in those days you had a push bike or motorcycle combo. Lots of room to park on the street I remember catching tadpoles. Bluebell woods and chasing cows ,light program on Radio Would you say it's a good place to live ?

I, do some more research interesting

Thanks Keith43

Moved to high green in 54 across the road from Crossfield Tavern,into a new built house,19 steps down to front door but was a big improvement on Bracken Hill camp,went past the Crossfield the other day they are turning it into a house, soon be no pubs left, not as it bothers me now

Thanks cutting edge I just started looking into my roots I was brought up on the pow camp potter hill.

Can you tell me is that Bracken Hill Camp. ? Cross field Tavern does not ring a bell. Only the cricket pitch and a scouts hall. Plus. The primary school down the hill

I also remember visiting. A friend must be 19 steep steps down to front door On Sheffield Rd or some major town Rd. We moved to Warral Rd for some years

Thanks again Keith43

Hi Keith

My aunt & uncle used to own a shop in High Green which would have probably have been in the era you refer to. Their name was Cawley & the shop was about half way down the Road from the White Hart pub. The shop had a beautiful house behind it & lovely garden.

My uncle used to have a bit of a hardware store in one section as you walked into the shop it was on the left hand side & I always remember the smell of putty as you walked in there.

When my husband & I visited the UK in 2001 we went into the shop & the then owner took us through the house for old times sake. But the previous owner had spoilt the inside by ripping out beautiful staircases & bay windows etc: Between the then owner & myself we were trying to piece it back together again as to how it used to be. Such a pity to see what had been done to it.

I wonder what has become of it now?

Hi Janet

that was such a lovely story must have been a real thrill to see and remember how it was and meet people who are genuine ,helpful and friendly

must admit I cannot remember any details you describe ,I was brought up in Potters HILL only remember one girl guides leader and at the time of the Coronation we lived on Worral RD high green walked every day down to what is now High Green Primary school remember the stone work

Google Maps is a fantastic realistic" live "video of all the streets as they are today you toggle the arrows in what ever direction you want The streets are clearly marked just like driving a car with colour scenery, so I saw my old school and travelled up Worrall Rd ^^>><<<< not the same as doing it for real but gave me a good idea

Keith43

Hi Janet,I will make a point of going past the shop this week,I remember it well,I only live four miles away from it,in fact I have never lived more than five miles away from where I was born,The White Hart pub is long gone,flats on the site now it brings back memories, when we were courting, we went in there for a drink got served and went in the best room,no one else in the room, sat looking round there was push buttons on the back rest which looked real old so I pressed it,next thing bar man came for my order,I had to explain I did not want a drink so he told me off never went back again that was over 50 years ago,golden wedding this year. There is not many pubs left in High Green now Stan

Hi Again

Yes Keith it was lovely being able to go through the house again all those years later, but really gut wrenching to see what had been done. Apparently the origin of the actual shop was a corn mill & the then owner had the actual books from when it was a corn mill. Quite fascinating. I remember my Grandad building a garage in the lane separating the shop from a row of houses, the land must have been either bought by my aunt & uncle or belonged to the shop previously. Another of my aunts lived on Water Lane in High Green. I doubt that would still be there as even back then there was a row of about 6 houses & a row of toilets just up from them to service the 6 houses. So many happy memories of childhood visits to both the shop & Water Lane.

Cutting Edge that would be lovely thanks.