Any one out there who used to live in High Green Sheffield

Alan P I do not think that is the shop,it was a double fronted windows with the door in the middle,did you go to greengate school as I did but left in 56. I bought a pair of mudguards for my pushbike from there,I am going to the dumpit site in the morning I will pop down and have a look.Janet Bat Cawley seems to ring a bell with me that was in the 50s

Hi Jenny & Cutting Edge

Thanks so much Jenny for the link. Hardly know the place from inside. I assume it is no longer a shop downstairs? It may be nice & modern inside but spoilt as regards the majestic old rooms, beautiful staircase ,bay windows etc: The gardens used to be mainly lawn at the back, but funnily enough the back door window has remained the same. I have a photo with the door & window visible on it. It really is a beautiful old house & is big as well. I thought there were actually more than 5 bedrooms. Hope who ever buys it is good to it & looks after it anyway.

Thanks very much to you both for looking & sending the link.

I used to go out with a girl that lived on Worrall Road back in the 60's. Janet Kay, Hope she has had a good life she was a very nice person.

my brother use to play cricket with other kids on the estate, on the green at the top half of worrall road. his best mate was a "Kay" and later on, i became friends with his brother but i was too young to remember if they had a sister..

---------- Post added 23-06-2015 at 13:53 ----------

Hi Again

Yes Keith it was lovely being able to go through the house again all those years later, but really gut wrenching to see what had been done. Apparently the origin of the actual shop was a corn mill & the then owner had the actual books from when it was a corn mill. Quite fascinating. I remember my Grandad building a garage in the lane separating the shop from a row of houses, the land must have been either bought by my aunt & uncle or belonged to the shop previously. Another of my aunts lived on Water Lane in High Green. I doubt that would still be there as even back then there was a row of about 6 houses & a row of toilets just up from them to service the 6 houses. So many happy memories of childhood visits to both the shop & Water Lane.

Cutting Edge that would be lovely thanks.

my great nan lived at water lane, which i believe was at "Piece End" .. long since gone. it would be nice to see any surviving old photo's.

Hi Cutting Edge. Yes it would have been in the 50's that my aunt & Uncle had the shop. Bat was rather a quiet individual, he didn't spend a lot of time in the shop as he worked elsewhere (Newton Chambers from memory).

On reflection looking at the inside of the house now, a good job has been done on making it very nice. But it really did used to be a lovely house with a big wide staircase just behind the back door, lovely wooden bannister. Big bay windows overlooking a big lawn & garden. But as I say they have done a good job in view of what has been ripped out. My cousin & I used to lie on the floor above the stairs watching people coming in & out of the shop & listening to what was being said. It used to be a busy shop back in the 50's. Of course my aunt & uncle are now both deceased but family still live in & around the area. My aunts name was Blanche.

• 1 year later...
Hi Keith

My aunt & uncle used to own a shop in High Green which would have probably have been in the era you refer to. Their name was Cawley & the shop was about half way down the Road from the White Hart pub. The shop had a beautiful house behind it & lovely garden.

My uncle used to have a bit of a hardware store in one section as you walked into the shop it was on the left hand side & I always remember the smell of putty as you walked in there.

When my husband & I visited the UK in 2001 we went into the shop & the then owner took us through the house for old times sake. But the previous owner had spoilt the inside by ripping out beautiful staircases & bay windows etc: Between the then owner & myself we were trying to piece it back together again as to how it used to be. Such a pity to see what had been done to it.

I wonder what has become of it now?

Janet

Apologies as I have only just come across this post, looking for historical images of the property on Wortley Road.

It may interest you to know that I am now the proud the owner of the property from your childhood. I am happy to share updates and renovations with you, as i'm sure this would be of interest. It is our family forever home and we are extremely happy here.

Angela

P.S... lovely to hear your memories, would be happy to learn more about the history.

Edited by angelalou
Additional edit