Is there snobbery in house buying?

I stopped reading at 2007, I know you're not this dim so it's a pretty terrible attempt at baiting.

See my above comment and replace 2007 for London.

You claimed that housing never falls in value. 2007 proves you wrong.

I am a new member here but I don't mind being insulted and accused as long as people learn something. It's good to read different views.

Nothing to learn from trolls like you - we've seem them all too often before.

If you've maxed out what you can borrow, have little in the way of savings and suffer some kind of financial shock, then I'd say it was high risk.

You've got some funny ideas. Look at these "starter homes" in London.

The entire area ONLY lists terraced housing.

The cheapest one is £575k, and the most expensive is £27 million.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=REGION%5E87526&insId=1&radius=0.0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&displayPropertyType=houses&maxDaysSinceAdded=&_includeSSTC=on&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false

Wouldn't want to hang onto that first rung for too long though, one has to have a detached house, don't you know.

No comments on the rest of this then Bonaparte?

Oh, so you're response is "That's silly".

So far you've claimed that crime is always higher in areas with terraced housing compared to detached. That's been proven to be wrong.

House prices never fall. Wrong.

Terraced houses are the 1st rung on the ladder. Only if the 1st rung costs up to 27 million.

S6 is cheap. Proven wrong.

You're demonstrating a rather snobbish attitude towards terraced houses, personally I prefer a detached house, but that doesn't mean everyone does, or that it's right for everyone, which is what you seem to be claiming.

If I were to say that I wouldn't be seen dead living anywhere in Sheffield other than on certain affluent roads in S7, S10, S11 and S17, then I accept, that could be seen as snobbery, unfairly in my opinion, but I accept how it would probably be percieved. However, stating that a terraced house in the city especially in low value areas should only be viewed as a starter home is not snobbery.

You're doing it again, all doom and gloom, the only way to achieve any gains is to chase money, to show off, to not enjoy life and sacrifice happiness. All complete small minded nonsense.

You're doing yourself no favours but that's not my problem I suppose.

ok, obviously Ive failed in life, pass me the shotgun, I'll end it all now.

Hope you enjoy living on the edge and that things continue to line up for you, such that you will not end up evicted, or worse that your friends will see your finances take a turn for the worse. Who knows, you may have to bus it to the gentlemans club, no more throwing the Merc keys on the bar. On the other hand, you may have relatives that you can sell to uphold your perceived status.

Good luck with it all

If I were to say that I wouldn't be seen dead living anywhere in Sheffield other than on certain affluent roads in S7, S10, S11 and S17, then I accept, that could be seen as snobbery, unfairly in my opinion, but I accept how it would probably be percieved. However, stating that a terraced house in the city especially in low value areas should only be viewed as a starter home is not snobbery.

Did you ever say "especially in a low value area"?

I wouldn't be surprised if a terraced house in a cheaper area is all that some people can afford these days. House prices have tripled in the last 15 years, income hasn't.

And depending on lifestyle, it may be all that some people want (as per the poster earlier on this thread). Why should she aspire to move to a larger house in a suburb if she likes living where she is now? That's just moving to have bragging rights about 4 bedrooms and a detached garage.

Out of interest, how do you know which postcodes you'd prefer from Corsica? Are you from Sheffield and now in Corsica?

Why should she aspire to move to a larger house in a suburb if she likes living where she is now? That's just moving to have bragging rights about 4 bedrooms and a detached garage.

Incorrect and a ridiculous comment quite frankly. Staying still in that scenario is like leaving a ton of money doing nothing in a savings account when it should be put to work. Quite depressing. You yourself moved from a terrace to a detached, you moved up the ladder, say what you like but your actions proved my point early on.

Out of interest, how do you know which postcodes you'd prefer from Corsica? Are you from Sheffield and now in Corsica?

What can I say, I'm well travelled.