Is there snobbery in house buying?

Having the means and having a choice between Woodhouse or Ranmoor then I guess I would be categorized as being a snob, considering I chose the latter. I can live with that.

Not quite Fulwood though. Is it? :D

Having the means and having a choice between Woodhouse or Ranmoor then I guess I would be categorized as being a snob, considering I chose the latter. I can live with that.

Maybe the definition of a house buying snob is someone who announces where they live to a bunch of totally uninterested strangers on a public forum? :huh:

The point i am trying to make is that certain people think they are only fit to live in certain areas because they have a degree or such like.

Years ago when the housing market crashed, and money was tight, it was those who spent up to their maximum budget were the ones most affected

The point i am trying to make is that certain people think they are only fit to live in certain areas because they have a degree or such like.

Years ago when the housing market crashed, and money was tight, it was those who spent up to their maximum budget were the ones most affected

That still doesn't clarify things. Your point is that people refuse to buy cheaper houses in, let's say, Pitsmoor because they don't want to live there (for whatever reason) and instead by (slightly) more expensive houses in, let's say, Hillsborough, because they do want to live there.

There are a multitude of factors involved though: People want to live near people that have similar interests, are you saying that people in Pitsmoor have the same interests as people in, for example, Ranmoor? Because I assure you that they don't (pardon for generalisation). Than there is commute/travel to work time. Who knows, they might want to use the tram, Pitsmoor isn't exactly convenient for that so they prefer looking at Hillsborough.

Ok this isnt just limited to Sheffield but after seeing a post where someone said they were a young professional and wanted some where to live suitable for a young professional, it made me think that people are such snobs when it comes to buying a house

Rather then trying to live within their means properly they over spend just so they live in the right post code!

Oh dear how awful would it be for a "young professional" to have to go and live in a house in wooodhouse!!!

No, you've just got a bee in your bonnet about someone describing themselves as either young or professional.

---------- Post added 30-05-2015 at 11:56 ----------

You've misunderstood why someone would ask the question.

It's that they want to know what areas will are ones that will suit them. Provide the facilities they want, have similar people in the area.

People want different things from an area depending on who they are, it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that and look for an area appropriate for what they want.

Ok this isnt just limited to Sheffield but after seeing a post where someone said they were a young professional and wanted some where to live suitable for a young professional, it made me think that people are such snobs when it comes to buying a house

Rather then trying to live within their means properly they over spend just so they live in the right post code!

Oh dear how awful would it be for a "young professional" to have to go and live in a house in wooodhouse!!!

Not really! Young professional to me says someone under the age of 35 who is working. It doesn't say anything about their incomes, lifestyle etc.

I've been looking with my partner at rented accommodation within what we can afford, which isn't a great deal, and even flats at £300 to £350 pcm are advertising for 'young professionals'. Not that either he or I are young anymore!

Edited by esme
quote tags

]

Not really! Young professional to me says someone under the age of 35 who is working. It doesn't say anything about their incomes, lifestyle etc.

I've been looking with my partner at rented accommodation within what we can afford, which isn't a great deal, and even flats at £300 to £350 pcm are advertising for 'young professionals'. Not that either he or I are young anymore!

It's more specific than that. Working in a call centre or McDonalds doesn't make you a YP, just young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_professional

The term was originally, and is still used to some degree, to narrowly refer to recent graduates of professional schools serving in professional careers.[2][3]

Well maybe some do. I acknowledge there are plenty of people who wouldn't entertain the idea of living in Woodhouse or Pitsmoor because they consider them to be 'beneath them' or having people that live there 'not like them'. But that's their loss.

Many years ago such people wouldn't have entertained the idea of shopping at Aldi or Morrisons, but thankfully attitudes change and people don't see it as sign of somehow they've failed in life if they don't shop at Waitrose or John Lewis.