Is there snobbery in house buying?

................... a lot.

What postcodes do get your approval then oh wise one??

You must tell me immediately so I can let my estate agent know without delay. God, to be seen going against your ignorantly generalised and ill informed opinion is obviously so shameful.

So why do people turn their noses up at terrace houses?,

Oh a young professional can not possibly live in a terraced house!!!

Total bobbins!

When people say "young professional" all it means to me is people under 30 or thereabouts, working full time in graduate-kind of jobs, no kids. They'll be after somewhere to live that has places to go out eating and drinking, with people they'd like to go eating and drinking with. They'll want somewhere with good transport links. They'll not be bothered about school catchments or big gardens. Nothing snobby about it, just as there's nothing wrong with asking what a good area is for "young families".

It's almost a rite of passage for "young professionals" in Sheffield to rent or buy a terrace, as the kinds of areas they want to live mostly have this kind of house - Crookes, Walkley, Netheredge. A good example would be the recently qualified doctor who bought my first (terraced) house off me in Walkley.

Edited by Olive

That is odd, because I know lots of young professionals living in terraced houses.

I think maybe the op has a chip on their shoulder. Can't stand the sight of being overtaken by up and coming young educated professionals. Envy, delusions of grandeur, spite maybe.

Why would anyone buy and live in a dump or an area with poor reputation if they can rent or buy beyond that. The world doesn't operate on the basis 'If I can live in a dodgy area then so should everyone else'. I also think that if you were raised in a crap hole you're very unlikely to aspire out of it unless you're progressive and move within more 'culturally sophisticated circles'. Ok-yah?:D

They don't! The terraced houses in our street sell within 2 weeks of going on the market at the moment, and mostly to professionals. The neighbours moving in to the street are university lecturers, doctors, police officers, nurses and the like, when the families who have lived here for a very long time move out.

I'm one of the more short term residents in our street- I've only been here for 23 years. Many of my neighbours were already here when I moved in, and only a couple of years ago an elderly couple moved into a care home and their home was sold for the first time in its history from when it was brand new, 110 years ago.

Wouldn't you want to move into a house that you knew that you could sell again if and when you needed to move on? Wouldn't it be a rather daft thing to move into a house knowing that the house wouldn't sell and would be a millstone around your neck if your job moved or you needed somewhere else to meet your needs?

The thread this has spun off from, one of the areas in question is fullllll of terraces and you kicked off about it being marketed to "young professionals"

Rather then trying to live within their means properly they over spend just so they live in the right post code

I think people naturally want to aspire to live in a nice area surrounded by people similar to themselves, not next to thieving chavscum whose tattoos often make up around 5% of their scrawny, emaciated frames and who stink of weed.

That's not snobbery, that's common sense.

The point i am trying to make is that certain people think they are only fit to live in certain areas because they have a degree or such like

No, the point you are actually making is that you have a massive chip on your shoulder about people who have done better in life than you.

Young professional to me says someone under the age of 35 who is working

A professional in this context is someone who has a profession (stop me if I'm going too fast for you).

noun

noun: professional; plural noun: professionals

a person engaged or qualified in a profession.

"professionals such as lawyers and surveyors"

synonyms: white-collar worker, professional worker, office worker

"affluent young professionals"

Would people be happy to get on the housing ladder if their only option was to live in Page Hall?

No.

It's not just about "getting on the ladder", it's about living somewhere nice.