Is there snobbery in house buying?

So why do people turn their noses up at terrace houses?,

Oh a young professional can not possibly live in a terraced house!!!

There may be some people that turn their noses up terraced houses, but that says more about them than it does about terraced houses.

Have you seen or heard people turning their noses up at terraced houses?

First of all i have "no chip" on my shoulder.

My first house was a house in a mining area where the house was very cheap, i had a set amount of cash to spend so looked around within a radius where i could afford to buy outright.

Second house was again in a mining area, third house, ex council house in a decent area until i am where i am now.

This is did by being very realistic in where i could live with the money i had to spend. The result?, I have always been mortgage free, moviing up the ladder but always buying well within means to be comfortable and not over stretched.

What i see a lot of is people who will turn down certain areas because they dont fit in with their "ideals", yet by spending well within budget they would in fact be better of because they wouldnt be over stretching themselves

Since mortgage rules have changed this isnt such a big issue as it was. People would spend to the hilt just to keep with the Jones so they could live in that new semi detached

So to people who say i have a chip on my shoulder I am on my 5th house, mortgage free and have bought the field next door!

There is no problem with wanting to live in the best place you can afford and not wanting to live in rubbish areas, but property is a long term thing.

How many people want to be mortgage free asap? (ok i was lucky as i had a bit of money given to me)

My first house was a house in a mining area where the house was very cheap, i had a set amount of cash to spend so looked around within a radius where i could afford to buy outright.

Second house was again in a mining area, third house, ex council house in a decent area until i am where i am now.

This is did by being very realistic in where i could live with the money i had to spend. The result?, I have always been mortgage free, moviing up the ladder but always buying well within means to be comfortable and not over stretched.

What i see a lot of is people who will turn down certain areas because they dont fit in with their "ideals", yet by spending well within budget they would in fact be better of because they wouldnt be over stretching themselves

Since mortgage rules have changed this isnt such a big issue as it was. People would spend to the hilt just to keep with the Jones so they could live in that new semi detached

So to people who say i have a chip on my shoulder I am on my 5th house, mortgage free and have bought the field next door!

There is no problem with wanting to live in the best place you can afford and not wanting to live in rubbish areas, but property is a long term thing.

How many people want to be mortgage free asap? (ok i was lucky as i had a bit of money given to me)

So what you are saying is: You were lucky enough to buy your first house some 30+ (Probably 40+) years ago and have managed to navigate the housing market without ever having to borrow money.

Question: How much money do you need to buy a rubbish house in a rubbish area outright?

Answer: This - how many young people do you know who have 55K outright?

Conlusion: You have got a chip on your shoulder. Now jog on.

No i bought my first house in 1999 (thanks)

I would suggest you have a google on how much a solid terrace goes for in some towns around Sheffield etc.

Well, it depends on where someone wants to move to.

You could move to the manor and it would be cheaper or move to Dore and the like and it will be a hell of a lot more. It all depends on where a specific person wants to be.

Estate Agents have offices all over this city to reflect the needs of the people who want to live in different parts. Those agents will be versed in a areas needs and wants and how to appeal to future buyers in those areas.

Theres no snobbery.

I don't think anyone would actually choose to live in a terrace house, more a case of that's all they could afford in that area. Just a simple list of pros and cons will prove this.

Cons

Usually on narrow roads which are very annoying to drive on.

Terrible for parking.

No garage or private parking space so vehicle theft or vandalism much more likely.

Noise from a semi is bad enough let alone being positioned between 2 terraced houses.

Cheaper housing so level of anti-social behaviour will be higher, crime stats prove this.

Narrow tiny gardens if at all so no play area for the kids.

Many terrace houses have covered alleyways down the side accessible by anyone. Security risk.

Pros

Can't think of any

So why do people turn their noses up at terrace houses?,

Oh a young professional can not possibly live in a terraced house!!!

My first house was a terraced, we lived there for a decade, as a couple of young professionals.

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 16:29 ----------

There may be some people that turn their noses up terraced houses, but that says more about them than it does about terraced houses.

Have you seen or heard people turning their noses up at terraced houses?

To be fair, when I moved out of my 1st property, one of the criteria for the new house was that it was detached. Unfortunately I no longer qualified as the Young bit of YP.

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 16:31 ----------

I've no idea how any of this is related to your objection to someone asking about areas suitable for young professionals.

I don't think anyone would actually choose to live in a terrace house, more a case of that's all they could afford in that area. Just a simple list of pros and cons will prove this.

Cons

Usually on narrow roads which are very annoying to drive on.

Terrible for parking.

No garage or private parking space so vehicle theft or vandalism much more likely.

Noise from a semi is bad enough let alone being positioned between 2 terraced houses.

Cheaper housing so level of anti-social behaviour will be higher, crime stats prove this.

Narrow tiny gardens if at all so no play area for the kids.

Many terrace houses have covered alleyways down the side accessible by anyone. Security risk.

Pros

Can't think of any

Well, actually I would and, in fact, do choose to live in a terraced house - just to disprove your theory.

I have a house on a quiet street in S2. I've lived here 22 years and:

1. I'm an OK driver and can manage the (not so) narrow road

2. Parking is fine: can always get a spot near the house

3. No garage - but never had my car touched in all the time I've been here

4. Never had noisy neighbours: it's a nice quiet street

5. Can't recall any anti-social behaviour whatsoever. Ah no, sorry; we had a joyrider. Once. Me and another lady on the street caught him and read him the riot act; he was a bit soft to be honest. No big wow.

6. I hate gardening, so the smaller the better. No kids, so no worries there

7. Oh, the mounting anticipation of finding a (hopefully handsome) stranger lurking in the ginnel. Unfortunately it's never happened, so internet dating it is :roll:

As for the pros:

1. As above, I get on with my life untroubled by the world

2. I can walk to work in the city centre so no commuting costs

3. I can walk to the train station

4. The local public transport options are great; numerous bus routes and the tram within walking distance

5. I'm a five minute walk to the vibrant London Road, with its great mix of everything

5. House was cheap to buy and is cheap to run

Put simply, I love it :)

S xxx

Edited by Solitaire

Well, actually I would and, in fact, do choose to live in a terraced house - just to disprove your theory.

Put simply, I love it :)

I think what you really mean is, put simply, you've been very lucky and don't know any better.

If you've never lived in a detached house in one of the nicer areas, you can't really compare the difference in standard of living. At the time you bought your terrace, that is what you could afford. Had you been able to afford a detached house in a nicer area, you would have done so especially if you had to find a good school for children.

I'm not suggesting people should over stretch their finances, you should buy what you can comfortably afford, but it's not snobbery to want the best standard of living you can afford.

I think what you really mean is, put simply, you've been very lucky and don't know any better.

If you've never lived in a detached house in one of the nicer areas, you can't really compare the difference in standard of living. At the time you bought your terrace, that is what you could afford. Had you been able to afford a detached house in a nicer area, you would have done so especially if you had to find a good school for children.

I'm not suggesting people should over stretch their finances, you should buy what you can comfortably afford, but it's not snobbery to want the best standard of living you can afford.

Wow, you seem to know a lot about me. Spooky. It's not you lurking in my back passage is it? :roll:

When I bought my terrace, I bought it because I liked it: definitely not because it was all that I could afford. I liked it then. I like it now.

I was brought up in a detached house in a VERY nice area and I much prefer living in the heart of S2. The thought of having to get in the car to go anywhere. Pffft. I just leave the house and walk. It's great.

I do admit that I may have been lucky but, having said that, so I expect are many others who are happily residing in their terraced houses.

If it helps, I'm a Chartered Accountant with blue hair. I'm mildly eccentric, so I'm never going to fit in with your 'girl in the street' profile. But thanks again for putting me right. What would I do without you?

S x