Is there snobbery in house buying?

When I bought my terrace, I bought it because I liked it: definitely not because it was all that I could afford. I liked it then. I like it now.

I was brought up in a detached house in a VERY nice area and I much prefer living in the heart of S2. The thought of having to get in the car to go anywhere. Pffft. I just leave the house and walk. It's great.

So, you could afford a detached house in a nice area but decided to buy a terrace in S2 instead? You grew up in a detached house in a VERY nice area but much prefer living in the heart of S2.

As it's only the internet, I'll believe you.

I don't think anyone would actually choose to live in a terrace house, more a case of that's all they could afford in that area. Just a simple list of pros and cons will prove this.

Cons

Usually on narrow roads which are very annoying to drive on.

Terrible for parking.

No garage or private parking space so vehicle theft or vandalism much more likely.

Noise from a semi is bad enough let alone being positioned between 2 terraced houses.

Cheaper housing so level of anti-social behaviour will be higher, crime stats prove this.

Narrow tiny gardens if at all so no play area for the kids.

Many terrace houses have covered alleyways down the side accessible by anyone. Security risk.

Pros

Can't think of any

Pro's, normally cheaper to heat than a detached,

only 2 walls so less outside maintenance

Tends to be closer to the city so far more convenience

No/small garden is a bonus to many

My terrace had a driveway

Crime level in Walkley is low, no anti-social behaviour (I once found footsteps in the snow going onto my drive that weren't mine, that's as bad as it got).

Never experienced any noise problems until the neighbours had a baby, admittedly this was something that finally spurred us into moving.

Didn't have a covered gennel, although why this would be any different to having a large unlit garden for someone to lurk in I don't know.

Pro's, normally cheaper to heat than a detached,

only 2 walls so less outside maintenance

Tends to be closer to the city so far more convenience

No/small garden is a bonus to many

My terrace had a driveway

Crime level in Walkley is low, no anti-social behaviour (I once found footsteps in the snow going onto my drive that weren't mine, that's as bad as it got).

Never experienced any noise problems until the neighbours had a baby, admittedly this was something that finally spurred us into moving.

Didn't have a covered gennel, although why this would be any different to having a large unlit garden for someone to lurk in I don't know.

People concerned about heating costs can't afford a detached house in a nice area. In Sheffield, being very close to the city centre is not a positive, we are not London or Manchester.

Small gardens are great for students and people without the means or will to maintain a larger garden. Very few terrace have a driveway. Burglary levels in Walkley are amongst the highest in the city. Noise problems were a deciding factor why you chose to move.

As soon as you could afford a detached house in a better area, you couldn't move quick enough and have probably never regretted that decision.

So, you could afford a detached house in a nice area but decided to buy a terrace in S2 instead? You grew up in a detached house in a VERY nice area but much prefer living in the heart of S2.

As it's only the internet, I'll believe you.

Yes, I grew up in an affluent village in north Derbyshire. We lived in a detached house, well a bungalow actually. My parents still live there.

My parents - love them both to bits - are an exceptionally conventional couple. I am a mildly eccentric daughter. I prefer living somewhere a bit closer to the action - for want of a better phrase.

I have the wherewithal to afford lots of things that I simply don't want. I'm not generally interested in the things that money can buy - beyond a certain level of comfort (and a football season ticket) that is.

What I'm actually doing is expressing a preference. I'm stating that I prefer my house in S2 to my parents' house in Derbyshire. Neither you nor anyone else can validly argue with that. You can choose not to believe me, as implied by your sarcastically laced previous post, but ask yourself: what reason do I have to lie?

Your theories possibly apply to the masses but not to everyone. Surely you understand that when you make sweeping statements, there's always gonna be somebody to whom they don't apply. If you can't get to grips with that, I suggest that you're probably not the right person for me to be debating with.

S x

I'm not sure a chartered accountant would use language like that.

Really? There you go again with your sweeping generalisations. Are you honestly questioning the fact that I'm a chartered accountant because I used a little colourful language? I'm a football fan, remember .....

So, you seem to know it all. What's my name? How old am I? And what do I actually do for a living? There's a clue to the final question in my previous posts: I'm a chartered accountant. But, let me know if you need any further pointers.

Honestly, why did you join this forum?????? You've been on here five minutes and are already starting to wind people up.

Mwah xxxxxxx

Really? There you go again with your sweeping generalisations. Are you honestly questioning the fact that I'm a chartered accountant because I used a little colourful language? I'm a football fan, remember .....

So, you seem to know it all. What's my name? How old am I? And what do I actually do for a living? There's a clue to the final question in my previous posts: I'm a chartered accountant. But, let me know if you need any further pointers.

Honestly, why did you join this forum?????? You've been on here five minutes and are already starting to wind people up.

I joined up because I saw this discussion and felt it was very unreasonable for people to say there is snobbery in house buying. Affordability is the number one driver of housing. People buy the best house they can afford which makes financial sense. Anything else is just hot air.

Please don't resort to swearing, masked or otherwise. And name calling isn't tolerated either. Posts have been removed, no more please.

Thank you

Fair enough re the swearing. Apologies. I suggest that Napoleon is a troll who has only joined to wind people up. Perhaps you could have a look at that.