Bus driver wouldn't help visually impaired passenger

No Tim1, but he could have tried to help a near blind passenger get to where he was trying to.

We had all the information he needed but he made no effort to help.

Why are you trying to defend such a heartless idiot?

If you or someone in your family was in a similar position wouldn't you want or expect a little bit of help?

I am not defending anyone except common sense! Do you think a bus driver has time to help find where all or even any passengers need to alight? If someone stopped me in the street and asked me I would have my phone and iPad so would do my best to try and help but if I was driving a bus with other passengers on board trying to stick to a timetable and dealing with other passengers getting on and off it would be the last thing I would do. Why the heck did the gentleman not have all the information to hand. Surely this should be the question. When I went to Manchester and London I did all the research in advance of where my hotel was and which team/tube stations were the ones I needed to be. Surely someone with sight impairment who already said the had a chaperone on other visits to other places did not get help befor setting off!

I was not defending his actions, merely stating that I and others do not know where it is. I do on very rare occasions drive down attercliffe common but having no interest in sports take little notice of sporting establishments. I take the collective words for the fact that it is on there and should I be unfortunate enough to drive down there again will look out for it as this thread has raised a bit of curiosity over it.

If the OP is correct in his post, he asked for the chap to be put off at "Coleridge Road" specifically. As far as I'm aware, the bus stops on Attercliffe Common are named.

Guess what the one outside the Institute of Sport is called;

Google Street View

Yes you got it first time- Coleridge Road.

I am not defending anyone except common sense! Do you think a bus driver has time to help find where all or even any passengers need to alight? If someone stopped me in the street and asked me I would have my phone and iPad so would do my best to try and help but if I was driving a bus with other passengers on board trying to stick to a timetable and dealing with other passengers getting on and off it would be the last thing I would do. Why the heck did the gentleman not have all the information to hand. Surely this should be the question. When I went to Manchester and London I did all the research in advance of where my hotel was and which team/tube stations were the ones I needed to be. Surely someone with sight impairment who already said the had a chaperone on other visits to other places did not get help befor setting off!

The issue as I see it here is not the fact that the bus driver didn't know where the stop was or should have known where the stop was but his attitude towards the passenger. A bit of civility should have been expected.

Not every passenger needs assistance in the way this gentleman did, most of us have the privilege of sight, and can read the street signs.

I have loads of friends with visual impairments who can travel independently, with minor assistance, such as that requested of the driver in the instance involving this man.

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 00:01 ----------

No Tim1, but he could have tried to help a near blind passenger get to where he was trying to.

We had all the information he needed but he made no effort to help.

Why are you trying to defend such a heartless idiot?

If you or someone in your family was in a similar position wouldn't you want or expect a little bit of help?

Hear, hear!

What if the driver did not know where the place was? Was he suppose to just stop the bus and hopefully have a smartphone with a signal and Google the place? Should a driver know where every place is on all routes?

The institute of sport is hardly a small place. If he doesn't konw where that is on his route he is clearly :loopy:

If the OP is correct in his post, he asked for the chap to be put off at "Coleridge Road" specifically. As far as I'm aware, the bus stops on Attercliffe Common are named.

Guess what the one outside the Institute of Sport is called;

Yes you got it first time- Coleridge Road.

This shows how unhelpful the driver was.

I asked him to tell the guy when he got to the English Institute of Sport on Coleridge Road.

The bus stop is called Coleridge Road and it is right next to a huge building with massive signage clearly reading "English Institute of Sport"

Anyone trying to defend the drivers actions should probably be quiet from this point onwards.

He knew exactly where it was, but would not tell a nearly blind man when he got there.

What a grim human being. No if's or but's

This shows how unhelpful the driver was.

I asked him to tell the guy when he got to the English Institute of Sport on Coleridge Road.

The bus stop is called Coleridge Road and it is right next to a huge building with massive signage clearly reading "English Institute of Sport"

Anyone trying to defend the drivers actions should probably be quiet from this point onwards.

He knew exactly where it was, but would not tell a nearly blind man when he got there.

What a grim human being. No if's or but's

You are being a bigot. Just because people have a different view of things to you gives you know right to suggest they "be quiet". You came on this forum to rant about perceived rudeness when it is in fact you being rude.

You have judged a human being's total worth on an interaction that must have lasted less then 20 seconds. Lovely person you must be.

You do not know anything about the driver's individual situation. He may have been covering the route and really not know where EIS was. You then continued to ask him the same question after he said he had no idea. I would be annoyed at you too.

If your attitude to the driver was even half as bad as the attitude you have displayed on this thread then there is no wonder he reacted in the way you are describing.

In future, please try to understand that not everyone reacts well to rudeness and not everyone knows all the information you require. When you are a visitor to a place it is important that you respect the locals.

Have a great holiday and try not to offend anyone in the peaks :)

You are being a bigot. Just because people have a different view of things to you gives you know right to suggest they "be quiet". You came on this forum to rant about perceived rudeness when it is in fact you being rude.

You have judged a human being's total worth on an interaction that must have lasted less then 20 seconds. Lovely person you must be.

You do not know anything about the driver's individual situation. He may have been covering the route and really not know where EIS was. You then continued to ask him the same question after he said he had no idea. I would be annoyed at you too.

If your attitude to the driver was even half as bad as the attitude you have displayed on this thread then there is no wonder he reacted in the way you are describing.

In future, please try to understand that not everyone reacts well to rudeness and not everyone knows all the information you require. When you are a visitor to a place it is important that you respect the locals.

Have a great holiday and try not to offend anyone in the peaks :)

You'd be annoyed if someone asked you to help a blind person?

You are indeed a charmer

if a "bigot" is someone who is intolerant to rude and unhelpful members of society, then yes I'm a bigot.

Slightly odd way to describe someone who has tried to help a partially sighted person around Sheffield

Maybe I am ranting a little, but i found this guys behaviour way below what I would expect from any decent person.