Watching Vulcan take off / flight times 2015

I hear that after it finally retires at the end of the year that are still going to send it rocketing down the runway, not same as taking off I know but still better than nothing. I'm off to see it close up at the visitor centre at Doncaster Airport soon, only about £12 to get to see it.

I gather from recent BBC news that the last flying Vulcan (which lives at Robin Hood airport) wont fly again after 2015

It would be great to see it one last time but I doubt we would be able to get to any air shows this year

Does anyone know when it is scheduled to take off for any shows this year?

It will be taking off at the Bournemouth Airshow on 23rd Aug

I gather from recent BBC news that the last flying Vulcan (which lives at Robin Hood airport) wont fly again after 2015

It would be great to see it one last time but I doubt we would be able to get to any air shows this year

Does anyone know when it is scheduled to take off for any shows this year?

Link below gives details of all Vulcan displays plus lots more about

what will happen after this years displays.

Have lots of memories of the Vulcan when I was stationed RAF Finningley in the early

60s, seeing them fly nearly every day.

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Edited by bazjea

After the Lancaster, the Vulcan was the most iconic bomber we had. There is only one left. So maybe it should stay safely on the ground, and be kept in pristine condition, for all future generations to see. The sight and noise of videos can substitute !

We are down to two flying Lancasters now, so even they are being risked when airborne

It isnt the only one left there are 14 others preserved in museums iirc. XH558 based at Doncaster is the only Airworthy one left.

2 others are kept "live" and do fast taxy runs, one at Southend (XL426) and one at Wellesbourne Mountford airfield (XM655)

I'm off to Blackpool airshow on the 9th August just to see the Vulcan :)

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 08:58 ----------

Here is the Wellesbourne one doing its fast taxy which i filmed in June this year...she just wants to get airbourne!

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 09:01 ----------

For anyone going to Doncaster you wont get a take off like this but this is just what she is capable of!

re Andyrad29reply, thank you for the update on the remaining Vulcans. What I meant was that 558 was the only one remaining in an airworthy condition. I had heard that 2 others could be started up and taxied.

I believe that the budget to maintain the three aircraft should be provided to the RAF by the government. These aircraft, along with the B52s, were the principal deterrent against a soviet nuclear threat, until Polaris. They should be preserved in perpetuity for future generations. But knowing the British government !!!???

• 1 month later...

As far as I can tell, the Vulcan bomber is taking off from Doncaster tomorrow to go to the Southport Air Show for a 2pm showing. Since it's one of the last times the Vulcan will be taking off I'd love to see it in action - does anyone know when it will likely take off from Robin Hood airport for this?