Parliamentary electoral boundary changes. What could it mean for the

I suppose the leader will still be there, even though his constituency is going. :hihi:

He will still be there I imagine yes. Labour rules are that a new seat has to have an all female shortlist, which would prevent Corbyn from standing for it. However, rules also states that if 40% or more of the old MPs constituency is part of the new one, they have an automatic right to stand for reelection.

As others have said, this is good news for the Conservatives.

He will still be there I imagine yes. Labour rules are that a new seat has to have an all female shortlist, which would prevent Corbyn from standing for it. However, rules also states that if 40% or more of the old MPs constituency is part of the new one, they have an automatic right to stand for reelection.

As others have said, this is good news for the Conservatives.

I heard yesterday (on the BBC) that his was less than 40%. I also heard the same about the all female shortlist.

So having a look at the new constituencies.... Sheffield Central and West.

Looks like a peanut. It also excludes for some bizarre reason the student village. That bunch of lefties gets lumped in with Hallam and Dore so they can be safely drowned out in the blue and yellow clamour.

Just what do the students have in common with a constituency that goes to Wakefield and all the way to Dore? Beats me. But their vote wont count any more it'll be safely blue or yellow...

Meanwhile the Sheffield West and Central, removed and purged of the red elements can now get on with the task of returning a non labour MP I suspect.

The whole thing looks a little Gerrymandered to me...

So having a look at the new constituencies.... Sheffield Central and West.

Looks like a peanut. It also excludes for some bizarre reason the student village. That bunch of lefties gets lumped in with Hallam and Dore so they can be safely drowned out in the blue and yellow clamour.

Just what do the students have in common with a constituency that goes to Wakefield and all the way to Dore? Beats me. But their vote wont count any more it'll be safely blue or yellow...

Meanwhile the Sheffield West and Central, removed and purged of the red elements can now get on with the task of returning a non labour MP I suspect.

The whole thing looks a little Gerrymandered to me...

The whole student issue would revolve around where they are registered to vote. As a student I and many others remained on the electoral roll of my home town.

Wouldn't Gerrymandering require a lack of independence from the boundary commission? As most of those working on the review are civil servants it is likely that many are trade union members.

Edited by pacifica

I can't imagine that any Independent Body can be truly independent and not in some way biased. Most public sector employees are naturally left wing in their outlook, it MUST cloud their judgement slightly?

It will be interesting to see the outcome of an election. People may no longer vote tactically to keep another party out, particularly in Hallam.

I can't imagine that any Independent Body can be truly independent and not in some way biased. Most public sector employees are naturally left wing in their outlook, it MUST cloud their judgement slightly?

It will be interesting to see the outcome of an election. People may no longer vote tactically to keep another party out, particularly in Hallam.

I agree. The obvious political bias comes from the political parties themselves. It seems rather stupid that an independent body reviews the boundaries then hands it over to parliament for them to decide if they implement the changes. Clearly no government is going to allow changes that adversly effect their chances, so clearly no chages that might adversly effect labour will have got through since before 1997. So expect them to get thoroughly screwed this time around.

As what's been announced amounts to mere proposals and will still need Parliamentary approval, why all the urgency? Wait and see the eventual shape once decided conclusively. The quota of electors-per-constituency (if retained) points towards Sheffield having 5 MPs (rather than 5.5 as at present).

The Penistone and Stocksbridge constituency is one of the ones that could be scrapped according to the news. Needless to say i wont lose any sleep if the current Labour MP Angela Smith loses her seat .

---------- Post added 13-09-2016 at 19:43 ----------

Looks like Corbyn's seat might be going...

Never mind, he can always sit on the floor and pretend he's on a train.

:hihi::hihi::hihi: