New Netto open on Queens Rd

Ironically, the Asda that is there now actually used to be a Netto! I'm pretty sure that's where it was when I went to do my shopping when I lived in halls of residence. It seems Netto gave up on the UK just before the economic crisis hit, if they'd stuck around a year or two longer they'd have been in clover. Aldi & Lidl filled thehole Netto left, whilst laughing all the way to the bank.

All the major supermarkets seem to be driving the cost of bread and milk down, in fairness. You couldnt get 4 pints of milk and a loaf of Hovis for £1.79 in Tesco a couple of years back. Just need to sort other things out now.

The more low cost stores the better. They keep the major supermarkets on their toes.

Imagine where we'd be now without them. Milk, Bread etc would probably be twice as much!

Funny you say that. Netto are jointly owned by Sainsburys.

Aldi for example has over 9000 stores across the globe in the UK are already no6 largest supermarket chain in the UK and will likely overtake the Coop soon too.

I would go as far as to say that Aldi particularly has been well established as a major supermarket for some time.

To me there is not keeping anyone on their toes. Instead of giving money to one giant corporation we are simply giving it to another giant corporation - and a foreign owned one at that. God forbid!

Neither Aldi or Lidl are squeaky clean with their sourcing and ethics. Both were caught in controversy just as much as the big boys, including the recent horse meat scandal.

Whilst there are savings to be had, personally, I don't find either as cheap as their advertising makes out. There are in fact a lot of products from the discounters which are more expensive than in the big 4. Neither do they still provide half of the service levels that the others do. Until that day comes they will never quite get there.

Fact is, that if people really want to hurt the big corporates (including the giants that are Aldi and Lidl) local and independent retail is the way to go. Budgens and other symbol groups are a perfect example of what can be done.

In Ireland particularly Spar and Budgens (aka Musgrave) offer everything from local convenience shop to full blown superstore. They have the buying power through their franchisors giving them the bulk discounts BUT crucially each individual store is operated independently by a family or small partnership - money into local economy spent by local people.

That is a model I would like to see more of. It happening in little stores but it would be nice to see someone have the guts to operate a full size supermarket that way. Eurospar and Superquinn as they are called in Ireland are that size. Would be great to see something like that over here.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Funny you say that. Netto are jointly owned by Sainsburys.

Aldi for example has over 9000 stores across the globe in the UK are already no6 largest supermarket chain.

I would go as far as to say that Aldi particularly has been well established as a major supermarket for some time.

To me there is no keeping anyone on their toes. Instead of giving money to one giant corporation we are simply giving it to another giant corporation.

Neither Aldi or Lidl are squeaky clean with their sourcing and ethics. Both were caught in controversy just as much as the big boys, including the recent horse meat scandal.

Whilst there are savings to be had, personally, I don't find either as cheap as their advertising makes out. There are in fact a lot of products from the discounters which are more expensive than in the big 4. Neither do they still provide half of the service levels that the others do. Until that day comes they will never quite get there.

Fact is, that if people really want to hurt the big corporates (including the giants that are Aldi and Lidl) local and independent retail is the way to go. Budgens and other symbol groups are a perfect example of what can be done.

In Ireland particularly Spar and Budgens (aka Musgrave) offer everything from local convenience shop to full blown superstore. They have the buying power through their franchisors giving them the bulk discounts BUT crucially each individual store is operated as a franchise giving local and independent money into local and independent owners.

That is a model I would like to see more of. It happening in little stores but it would be nice to see someone have the guts to operate a full size supermarket that way. Eurospar and Superquinn as they are called in Ireland are that size. Would be great to see one over here.

But shopping habits have changed.

For example, i will get my main shop from morrisons but i get weekly bits from ASDA. I get all my household cleaning products and kitchen items from poundland.

I used to get everything from Tesco