Public don't want HS2!

The government has no convincing case for spending £50bn building the HS2 rail link between London and the North, a report by the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee says.

The government's main arguments in favour of HS2 - increasing railway capacity and rebalancing the economy - were still to be proven, peers said.

"In terms of rebalancing, London is likely to be the main beneficiary from HS2. Investment in improving rail links in the North of England might deliver much greater economic benefit at a fraction of the cost."

No-one doubts that there needs to be investment in the railways but is this £50bn vanity project really going to help?

Why would a London-centric Tory government want a North / South economic balance?

We already have good train links to London and we can get there in a little over two hours.

Give me the £50 billion instead, and I'll make you a millionaire.

Why would a London-centric Tory government want a North / South economic balance?

We already have good train links to London and we can get there in a little over two hours.

Give me the £50 billion instead, and I'll make you a millionaire.

Money, Money, Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Some of those Tory con men have vested interest in companies that build and maintain large civil engineering projects.

It is now't to do with getting to London a little faster.

I don't understand why they are doing it. I cannot see it is value for money at all. They would be better increasing road capacity and speed if they want people to get where they are going more quickly in a convenient mode of transport.

At some stage the rail infrastructure needs increasing, so if we going to build new rail lines it makes sense to upgrade the system.

Indeed. I read that intercity 125 trains have now been replaced by trains (hitachi?) ones that will go at a breakneck 140mph. The Japanese have had trains that will go 200+ since the 1960s and the French have had similar trains since the 80s. We aren't like the Americans who use air travel internally. Our roads are clogged up. At rush hour, so are our trains.