Public don't want HS2!

I'm a fan of driving myself, but I think that this bloke got it right, and gives us all a clue about why HS2 might be useful.:wink:

Not to mention the boost to the economy that building it will bring.

Using public money it is only a mechanism for wealth redistribution, however most of it will go into corporate bank accounts.

If economic boost was the objective they'd be better off giving every person £780 (£50bn / 64m UK population). Exclude long term unemployed and only give it to UK nationals you're looking at more. Allow citizens to redistribute as they see fit would boost all sectors of the economy, not just a handful of big construction companies.

• 2 months later...
The data is 18 months out of date Bozo

The data speaks for its self though "charmer". The more the cost estimates increase, the less support the project gets!

Do you think the table has turned over the last 18 months?

It will go through at massive cost because the people making the money have the politicians in their pockets and some mps will be making a wedge of cash from it too.

Correct! Investors are far more important than the public!

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 11:06 ----------

What's the alternative on the table?

Keep things as they are, and just have the network and rolling stock ageing gracefully?

Improve, update and maintain the current system?

Personally, I'd like to see the rail network back in the hands of the public sector. The privatisation of it hasn't produced good results. Ticket prices have increased beyond inflation and maintenance has been neglected. But at least the shareholders have seen a return, eh?