Public don't want HS2!

The sad thing about rail travel of any sort is that it is simply too expensive for ordinary working folk to use and the cost of traveling on HS" will be way out of the pocket of most.

Millions of "ordinary working folk" use the train every day. That's one of the biggest problems which has created overcrowding. If its not "ordinary working folk" clogging up the trains twice a day, five days a week, then who the hell are all these people?? Passenger numbers have increased year on year and on the last stats at the end of 2013 over 1,268,979,546 passengers were recorded over the annual period.

As for your psychic prediction on the HS2 fares being too expensive - just explain how do you know that? Can I see a list for fares please?

Jeez HS2 is not even built yet. Not even finalised on paper and already people are claiming who will and wont use it. How much the fares will be. How poor the service is...

God sake. No wonder this country never progresses.

"why is our railways so poor" . "why is our road network crap" "why do we not get things as good as France and Germany".... people scream but then its What's that???? You need to spend money to to build it...... You are gonna have to cut down a tree or two to build it... You are going to have to temporarily cause some disruption to build it....

Arrgh! Outrageous. How dare you. Its a disgrace. Never gonna let it happen.

NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY.

Sometimes this place deserves the backward decaying infrastructure it has.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Millions of "ordinary working folk" use the train every day. That's one of the biggest problems which has created overcrowding. If its not "ordinary working folk" clogging up the trains twice a day, five days a week, then who the hell are all these people??

As for your psychic prediction on the HS2 fares being too expensive - just explain how do you know that? Can I see a list for fares please?

Jeez HS2 is not even built yet. Not even finalised on paper and already people are claiming who will and wont use it. How much the fares will be. How poor the service is...

"why is our railways so poor" . "why is our road network crap" "why do we not get things as good as France and Germany".... people scream but then its What's that???? You need to spend money to to build it...... You are gonna have to cut down a tree or two to build it... You are going to have to temporarily cause some disruption to build it....

NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY.

I think if a project costs upward of £50/£60 billions, it's a fair guess that to access that facility it will be a higher cost rather than a lower one.

Angel1.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

I think if a project costs upward of £50/£60 billions, it's a fair guess that to access that facility it will be a higher cost rather than a lower one.

Angel1.

Maybe if greedy unions stopped demanding unnecessary pay rises it might stop the costs from spiralling.

Seriously though, Yes 50-60 billion is a lot but how does this compare to other major infrastructure.

Doesn't mean its any less needed. How much did the current motorway network or some of the recent upgrades to the WCML cost? How much is the much needed electricfication of the MML going to be? and how do these compare to the scale/size/utility and plant required for the proposed HS2..

These are all big questions which require a lot more than a lay person and lots of, in my opinion, media stirring simply stating "its too much

The whole purpose of the project is not for NOW. Its not for our benefit. Just like the current motorway network and mainline rail network we use today. Just like the major developments we now take for granted such as Eurotunnel or the many local airports these were high cost long term investments which took many many years to be developed and eventually built.

Its now part of our society that we use and take for granted each day. HS2 is supposed to be an investment and improvement for the future generation of rail users. Its supposed to be to create capacity on the already decaying network and finally bring them into line with something that Continental Europe has had for decades.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Millions of "ordinary working folk" use the train every day. That's one of the biggest problems which has created overcrowding. If its not "ordinary working folk" clogging up the trains twice a day, five days a week, then who the hell are all these people??

NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY.

Angel1.

The Japanese are currently splurging 100bn (dollars I think) on their spanky new maglev train (which will travel twice as quick as hs2). Do you think they're thinking its a waste of money? I'll bet not.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

Technically is has nowt to do with Folk in Sheffield as well, only a vague promise that it might one day work it's way up here.

Interestingly we're all set to build a motorway service station right on the proposed route.

I think you might mean above it :hihi:

I say move Parliament to The Midlands then we won't need to save half hour for all the whealers and dealers who influence the government and make a mess of the country. While they are at it they can build a complex to house the MPs cut out the expences for expensive London residences and provide staff to do the secretarial stuff at a reasonable rate. MPs move out when they lose a seat as the flats carry the constituancy name and charge for the rooms that are not used for their family because they have grown up or gone to boarding school.

Just heard from a local action group that the project is definitely going ahead. What a waste of money!

I don't get it I really don't. Why don't you want investment in infrastructure - large portions of it are going on old track beds for heavens sake.