Cancer Research, is it a big con?

Perhaps if you live in a lead box to avoid all naturally occurring radiation...

More likely one day in the future it will all be detected so early and so easily treatable that it will basically be a non-issue.

More likely one day in the future it will all be detected so early and so easily treatable that it will basically be a non-issue.

You'd probably kill yourself another way doing that tho, loads of different stuff can cause cancer.

Pretty much everything has been linked to cancer at some point, I think it's now like 1 in 2 people will develop it at some point in their life.

Interestingly it looks like it's always been there, I saw some bits on the news where bone cancer has been discovered on the skeletons on anchient Egyptian mummys and cave-men.

There has been some discussion that cancer has been passed down to us by the Neanderthals as it seemed more prevalent in their population.

Either way, looks like it's always been a part of human life.

I didn't mean to suggest there could be a one cure fix all solution. I'm more interested in the finances, and the relationship between money donated via charity to research, and the eventual monetisation of that research. Specifically, will Big Phara stand to profit from research funded by charitable donations?

4 out of 10 are already preventable without the need for a lead box, and the more we learn about cancer the more preventable they will become, that doesn't mean we will prevent them all because some people obviously won't make the necessary changes to prevent it.

I didn't mean to suggest there could be a one cure fix all solution. I'm more interested in the finances, and the relationship between money donated via charity to research, and the eventual monetisation of that research. Specifically, will Big Phara stand to profit from research funded by charitable donations?

Yes, No, Maybe.

Not directly.

Charities usually fund the 'basic science' such as the research into how the cancer works, how the body works, how the body reacts to therapy and stuff.

It's important research because it's needed to make the next generation of drugs, but it's not widely funded by industry because there's no immediate profit in it.

Another thing charities are starting to get into is taking on 'failed drugs' and turning them around, or finishing off the research.

The charity will then own the drug and re-coup costs from selling it.

Living in an area with high naturally occurring background radiation is likely to make you healthier, not a cancer patient. A lead box lifestyle won't end well.

Lead is obviously highly poisonous and cumulative. But how is a high background radiation good for you?

---------- Post added 09-06-2015 at 07:38 ----------

4 out of 10 are already preventable without the need for a lead box, and the more we learn about cancer the more preventable they will become, that doesn't mean we will prevent them all because some people obviously won't make the necessary changes to prevent it.

We will never prevent all cancer. Or at least not until we can redesign our own genetic code and/or develop real nano technology.

What we will do is detect it early and cure it easily.

---------- Post added 09-06-2015 at 07:39 ----------

You'd probably kill yourself another way doing that tho, loads of different stuff can cause cancer.

Pretty much everything has been linked to cancer at some point, I think it's now like 1 in 2 people will develop it at some point in their life.

Interestingly it looks like it's always been there, I saw some bits on the news where bone cancer has been discovered on the skeletons on anchient Egyptian mummys and cave-men.

There has been some discussion that cancer has been passed down to us by the Neanderthals as it seemed more prevalent in their population.

Either way, looks like it's always been a part of human life.

Of course it's always been there. There's a large nuclear furnace heating the planet, it spits radiation at us all the time. Any multi celled creature can make a mistake when copying a cell and 'get' cancer.

And that's just the least avoidable source of damage to DNA. Like you say, there are many, many, others.

We will never prevent all cancer. Or at least not until we can redesign our own genetic code and/or develop real nano technology.

What we will do is detect it early and cure it easily.

I haven't said we will one day prevent all cancer, we also won't detect all cancer or cure all cancer, but it will one day be possible to do all three.