Attercliffe : Did anyone live there prior to demolition (1950's era ?

Thanks for the reply,

I think the future of Attercliffe is more of what has been happening for the last 20 or 30 years, ie, more companies moving onto small industrial estates, premium car showrooms, retail parks etc. There are still huge swathes of land completely empty. I doubt that housing would ever come back to Attercliffe and if it did, then only in small pockets. It may as well be renamed because the traditional Attercliffe went years ago.

---------- Post added 18-06-2015 at 22:15 ----------

It's not too bad thank you. I find found quite a bit of information on a facebook site which is all about the area of S9. Quite a few people have gotten back to me, though again, it's mainly from this other site. I have seen a fair few pictures and that is enabling to try and piece together what the area looked like prior to demolition and i have also made a few trips to to the area recently. It does seem to me though, that it was almost an act of vandalism with what they did to the area and it still hasn't recovered today and i don't think it ever will. Back in the day it seemed to have character, warmth and a community spirit, where as today it just looks soulless and cold.

Yes 'character, warmth and a community spirit' Attercliffe certainly had,.along with other east-end areas, Burngreave, Brightside, Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe and these regions HAD to be re-developed by the mid to late 60's as the housing conditions were dilapidated almost to the point of uninhabitable. (Slums would be too strong a term and an insult to the proud householders). An alternative would be to build other 'Attercliffe's' elsewhere but that was never going to happen. They may have been re-housed at places like Hyde Park, Pye Bank, Norfolk Park, Gleadless Valley etc and if these areas had become 'urban planning nightmares' then the people (my family included) were only too glad to make a fresh start and leave their childhood, adolescent and early adulthood years to the memory. Which you cannot and would not want to be taken away, like the donkey-stoned steps!

• 2 weeks later...

Used to live on Don road , before moving out to Norfolk park , Guildford drive ,

This is my story , as a chabby was always up for a bit of adventure , so got up one night thinking I'd heard the ice cream man , must have been around midnight , so in my pj 's got on my little tricycle bike trying to catch him , after a while became lost , and a dog chased me which made it worse , finally the police found me , and took me home , remember them walking up the stairs into mam and dads room , and banging on the bed "is this your lad" they said to dad , what the hell ( or words to that effect ) was going on said dad.

Next day The Star ran a story of me on my bike with my mam and a neighbour , under the headline of "ding dong Darren " have the photo somewhere in the house .

Used to live on Don road , before moving out to Norfolk park , Guildford drive ,

This is my story , as a chabby was always up for a bit of adventure , so got up one night thinking I'd heard the ice cream man , must have been around midnight , so in my pj 's got on my little tricycle bike trying to catch him , after a while became lost , and a dog chased me which made it worse , finally the police found me , and took me home , remember them walking up the stairs into mam and dads room , and banging on the bed "is this your lad" they said to dad , what the hell ( or words to that effect ) was going on said dad.

Next day The Star ran a story of me on my bike with my mam and a neighbour , under the headline of "ding dong Darren " have the photo somewhere in the house .

Is this the same story from Martyn Johnson's (ex-Attercliffe bobby) 'What's Tha Upto' ?

to glen pickard well how nice to know youre still interested in Attercliffe I used to knock about with your nick I was always at your house your mam and dad were very nice how is michelle .ob the way we wrere called sutcliffes we lived over the back of you we knew the browns and the averys who lived round the corner from you did you have a brother called glenn was he a pilot the last I heard of nick he was selling cars .now ime living in darnall my brothers were gary ray Geoff and frank we lived on brinsworth street any way hope to hear from one of the old Attercliffe lads once a cliffe lad always a cliffe lad .

Is this the same story from Martyn Johnson's (ex-Attercliffe bobby) 'What's Tha Upto' ?

I don't know could you give me a reference to have a look , please .

Thanks in advance , Darren .

Attercliffe in the 50s and 60s had everything you had no need to go to the city centre it was like a town on its own . I lived on the cliff in the 40s, 50s and 60s a great place to live and great people .when neighbours were neighbours . There was Janson Street ,Amberley Street, Berkley Street,Stanford Street ,Bradford Street ,and Rotherham Street . Janson Street was nearly all back to back houses all the others were Terrace Houses.All the streets had their own corner shop just like open all hours and most of the shop keepers were just like Arkrite off the tele . tight as hell and very expensive haha but a great place to grow up great people and some great friends which I would love to see again .

Attercliffe in the 50s and 60s had everything you had no need to go to the city centre it was like a town on its own . I lived on the cliff in the 40s, 50s and 60s a great place to live and great people .when neighbours were neighbours . There was Janson Street ,Amberley Street, Berkley Street,Stanford Street ,Bradford Street ,and Rotherham Street . Janson Street was nearly all back to back houses all the others were Terrace Houses.All the streets had their own corner shop just like open all hours and most of the shop keepers were just like Arkrite off the tele . tight as hell and very expensive haha but a great place to grow up great people and some great friends which I would love to see again .

As for storekeepers, a family from my neighbourhood (Lyons Street, Pitsmoor),relocated to Rotherham Street around 1958. Their name was Hardisty, sons Harold and Alan. recall?

Hi quixall,

Have you looked on the wonderful http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk ??

I lived on Adsetts Street off Carlisle Street East from birth in 1943 to 1957 when our family moved to Shiregreen.

I worked at Firth Browns steelworks from age 15 to 21 and also worked on Saturdays in John Banners Department Store, which you mention, in 1961/62.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

• 5 months later...

I was born on the cliff and it was not a slum,it started to become a so called slum in the late sixties and seventies when they started to knock it down,growing up i can only remembering seeing one or two colured people up to being 15 years old.