Cold water tank or f&e tank?

I can see both of these in my loft but dont know which tank is which. One tank is much larger than the other.

I'm guessing that the big one will be the cold water tank.

Can't you flush the toilet and listen to see which one fills up? :)

Good idea! Other half isnt good at diy at all and we have a leaking white pipe outside. However he was stood next to both tanks while we had the bath cold water tank blasting out and he couldnt see either draining.

Problem weve got is one of our white pipes (that sticks out of the external wall just under the guttering) is dripping heavily with water. And obviously we dont know which tank its coming from. Weve looked in the loft and assuming the white pipes dont cross over eachother as they fo under the insulation then the dripping pipe is coming from the large tank.

Photo of small & large tank

http://imgur.com/9JmTKrG

Photo inside large tank

http://imgur.com/GTvAaKl

Edited by Chazndave

Good idea! Other half isnt good at diy at all and we have a leaking white pipe outside. However he was stood next to both tanks while we had the bath cold water tank blasting out and he couldnt see either draining.

Problem weve got is one of our white pipes (that sticks out of the external wall just under the guttering) is dripping heavily with water. And obviously we dont know which tank its coming from. Weve looked in the loft and assuming the white pipes dont cross over eachother as they fo under the insulation then the dripping pipe is coming from the large tank.

I'm not a plumber but...

... it sounds like it could just be needing a new washer on the ballcock valve - it's a 2 minute job if you know what you're doing.

Or it might need a new ballcock (if it's worn/leaking).

If you can get your hand inside the tank and under the ballcock you could try gently lifting it to see if it stops the dripping (but don't use force). :)

EDIT: Looking at that photo it looks like the float is too low. Is the screw loose and it's slipped down the rod?

Edited by Mr Bloke

Try looking in one of the tanks. They'll each have an overflow outlet which is attached to the pipes that run outside. The tank where the water level has reach high enough to cause water to run into the overflow pipe is the one with the problem. Probably the ballcock.

Try looking in one of the tanks. They'll each have an overflow outlet which is attached to the pipes that run outside. The tank where the water level has reach high enough to cause water to run into the overflow pipe is the one with the problem. Probably the ballcock.

Ive posted a photo above in the large tank. Do you mean like in the bath there is a hole 3 quarters of a way up iin-between the taps to drain water incase you over fill the bath?

Ive posted a photo above in the large tank. Do you mean like in the bath there is a hole 3 quarters of a way up iin-between the taps to drain water incase you over fill the bath?

Yeah, the water level in the tank should be well below that level.

Have you seen my EDIT in my last post?

looking at the ballcock its too high and needs adjusting

More than likely the toilet will run direct from cold water mains, the same as your cold taps, after all you wouldn't want to be drinking from the header tank.. If the Op runs a hot water tap it's likely that'll show which tank it is. My money is on the large tank feeding the immersion. The small will be CH header.

More than likely the toilet will run direct from cold water mains, the same as your cold taps, after all you wouldn't want to be drinking from the header tank.. If the Op runs a hot water tap it's likely that'll show which tank it is. My money is on the large tank feeding the immersion. The small will be CH header.

Yeah you might be right about the cold water supply.

I still think it's the float that is too low and has slipped down the rod. It looks like it's more than half under the water level to me.