Cold water tank or f&e tank?

Ive posted a photo above in the large tank. Do you mean like in the bath there is a hole 3 quarters of a way up iin-between the taps to drain water incase you over fill the bath?

Already answered but yes. Just seen second photo and if the level is over the overflow outlet you found the problem.

Yeah you might be right about the cold water supply.

I still think it's the float that is too low and has slipped down the rod. It looks like it's more than half under the water level to me.

I don't think its slipped, it's just a case of the valve seal is compromised allowing the tank to fill continuously. My bet is the line of water on the ball is the exact same level as the overflow.

The ball arm can't rise any higher so the water will rise to the height of the outlet.

As soon as hubby lifts the ballcock up the water stops filling the tank (yes the water is above the outlet/overfill)

He has had to go to work so its got to be left as it is for the night :/

Edited by Chazndave

As soon as hubby lifts the ballcock up the water stops filling the tank (yes the water is above the outlet/overfill)

He has had to go to work so its got to be left as it is for the night :/

Do you mean it's at the level of the outlet or literally above it? If its above then it isn't draining correctly.

Do you mean it's at the level of the outlet or literally above it? If its above then it isn't draining correctly.

Hubbys gone to work and i cant remember whether he said the water level is just above the outlet or on the outlet. Either way its pouring outside from the white pipe! How come the tank stopped filling when he lifted the arm/ballcock up?

Hubbys gone to work and i cant remember whether he said the water level is just above the outlet or on the outlet. Either way its pouring outside from the white pipe! How come the tank stopped filling when he lifted the arm/ballcock up?

Because the seal isn't fully knackered. Lifting it puts further pressure on the seal. It's a bit like a leaky tap, if you close a leaking tap with force it'll stem the flow.

It could be that the ball has cracked and allowing water in. The ball acts as a float, if its full of water it wont float hence the valve will open constantly allowing water into the tank..

Edited by cassity

Glad you found the issue. The ballcock is on an arm that moves kind of on a pivot. When the arm pivots forward it allows a valve to open which allows water in. When the arm is pushed back (by the float moving upwards with the water level) it closes off the valve so when your hubby lifted the arm he closed the valve.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 23:59 ----------

Because the seal isn't fully knackered. Lifting it puts further pressure on the seal. It's a bit like a leaky tap, if you close a leaking tap with force it'll stem the flow.

It could be that the ball has cracked and allowing water in. The ball acts as a float, if its full of water it wont float hence the valve will open constantly allowing water into the tank..

Aye, or might just need a new valve or maybe even a new washer or a slight adjustment to the arm.

Note to OP - if you attempt any fixes then make sure you know how to turn off your water supply just in case.

Edited by I1L2T3

Glad you found the issue. The ballcock is on an arm that moves kind of on a pivot. When the arm pivots forward it allows a valve to open which allows water in. When the arm is pushed back (by the float moving upwards with the water level) it closes off the valve so when your hubby lifted the arm he closed the valve.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 23:59 ----------

Aye, or might just need a new valve or maybe even a new washer or a slight adjustment to the arm.

Note to OP - if you attempt any fixes then make sure you know how to turn off your water supply just in case.

Am I in any danger tonight of the tank overflowing and the ceiling falling through? Outside my backdoor the white pipe from the roof is literally pouring!!!

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 00:48 ----------

Anyone answer my last question please? Its pouring out?

Am I in any danger tonight of the tank overflowing and the ceiling falling through? Outside my backdoor the white pipe from the roof is literally pouring!!!

Sorry, went to bed. Was everything OK?

If you're not confident of fixing the problem yourself get a plumber out ASAP - check the recommended tradesmen thread on this forum. Loads of people in there who will help you out.

Left you message last night with phone number and offer of help. No reply.