Cold water tank or f&e tank?

turn off the stopcock water supply - may be in the cellar, kitchen or similar

tie the ball valve up in such a position that it stops water flowing into the tank.

let the hot water taps flow into the sink or bath. This will empty the tank.

Get a new ball balllcok thingy for about a tenner, cheapest is screwfix, toolstation or Wilko and replace the whole unit.

job done, turn on the cold water supply at the stopcock

There is a stopcock next to washing machine. (Opposite side of kitchen to the sink) but i have a feeling when we moved inwe were told something about a main stopcock being down our drive at the end near the watermeter?

Also I thought i would have to run the cold tap to drain the tank not the hot?

There is a stopcock next to washing machine. (Opposite side of kitchen to the sink) but i have a feeling when we moved inwe were told something about a main stopcock being down our drive at the end near the watermeter?

For 20 quid you could have had this solved, It's probably cost you more in meterage.

For 20 quid you could have had this solved, It's probably cost you more in meterage.

I can't afford £20. Never learn if we dont do things ourselves either.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 18:38 ----------

Hi everyone

http://imgur.com/lw7cbw6

Here is a better look inside the tank. I cant tell if their is water inside the ballcock.

turn off the stopcock water supply - may be in the cellar, kitchen or similar

tie the ball valve up in such a position that it stops water flowing into the tank.

let the hot water taps flow into the sink or bath. This will empty the tank.

Get a new ball balllcok thingy for about a tenner, cheapest is screwfix, toolstation or Wilko and replace the whole unit.

job done, turn on the cold water supply at the stopcock

Had the same problem as the OP a few months back (dripping water down back of house, coming from cold water tank overflow pipe).

People on here were super-helpful. :)

Eventually fixed it by replacing the whole ball-**** and arm thingy, but it was a complete pig to remove the old one and replace it with the new. The problem was that the old one had rusted and was fixed in place, so very hard to unscrew it and remove from the tank (should have sprayed with WD40, but didn't occur to me at the time).

Hope the OP has an easier time of it, that I did!

Looking at the OP's latest photo (in their latest post), looks like someone tried to bend down the arm; maybe that's made the valve more leaky? Also, if that's the hole for the overflow, to the right of the image, at water level; maybe it's possible to just rotate that 180, effectively raising the level where water needs to be to escape via the overflow?

Had the same problem as the OP a few months back (dripping water down back of house, coming from cold water tank overflow pipe).

People on here were super-helpful. :)

Eventually fixed it by replacing the whole ball-**** and arm thingy, but it was a complete pig to remove the old one and replace it with the new. The problem was that the old one had rusted and was fixed in place, so very hard to unscrew it and remove from the tank (should have sprayed with WD40, but didn't occur to me at the time).

Hope the OP has an easier time of it, that I did!

Looking at the OP's latest photo (in their latest post), looks like someone tried to bend down the arm; maybe that's made the valve more leaky? Also, if that's the hole for the overflow, to the right of the image, at water level; maybe it's possible to just rotate that 180, effectively raising the level where water needs to be to escape via the overflow?

House was only built in 2002 so hopefully shouldnt be too hard to replace. We bent the brass pole slightly tonight downwards but its still leaking so will try bending it again tomorrow. If not will replace them.

that's the feed to your house. you could turn that off and it would do the trick, but it may also be the tap to your neighbours too and they would temporarily have no water too.

no, the cold water supply doesn't go through the tank, its a direct feed from the water supply. The hot tap comes from the copper immersion tank, which comes from the tank in your loft. Hence you can drink tap water, as its direct (and fresh) water, but drinking from the hot can be lethal.