Salutation Pub, Attercliffe Common.

Seen a few photos of the Salutation pub that stood on Attercliffe Common, a corner pub with yellow and red tile on the outside. What was the pub like inside , what year did it close, Iv been told it ended its days as a gay pub/club with a different name?

Indeed it did end its days as a gay bar. My mum and dad, and my aunt Lily and uncle Sid did their "courting" on the cliffs back in the early 1960s,

They decided some years later to recapture their youth, and went along t'Cliffs.

They were asked to leave the Sally for being straight.

(Well,actually, to be fair I think the LL thought that two burly blokes, in a group with their missuses might have picked on the clientele)

My aunt & Uncle used to manage the Salutation in the late 1960's. It was quite a big pub inside. We used to laugh & say some nights in there was like something out of a western movie.....could be a bit rough in there.

I bought my cousin a print of the pub as it used to be (done by a Sheffield artist I think). My cousin spent a few of her teenage years living there with her parents & I thought she might like to remember the pub

Where was the Salutation pub ? I counted 13 pubs or pub sites, in March 2015, from the Robin Hood, at the bottom of Staniforth Rd, to the public baths building at Attercliffe Rd and Worksop/Leeds Rd, but I don't know the Salutation ?

Where was the Salutation pub ? I counted 13 pubs or pub sites, in March 2015, from the Robin Hood, at the bottom of Staniforth Rd, to the public baths building at Attercliffe Rd and Worksop/Leeds Rd, but I don't know the Salutation ?

click on the link in the post by Jimmy1975 and it will take you to the picture of the salutation.

It was on Attercliffe Common, at the junction of Coleridge road.

it was on this corner

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Coleridge+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S9+5DP/@53.399437,-1.424972,3a,75y,190.42h,95.76t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s6Dw2lNVcEHjllibGjGekbQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x487977f6bd89a1b7:0x58604380f054ea05

Edited by Plain Talker

click on the link in the post by Jimmy1975 and it will take you to the picture of the salutation.

It was on Attercliffe Common, at the junction of Coleridge road.

it was on this corner

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Coleridge+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S9+5DP/@53.399437,-1.424972,3a,75y,190.42h,95.76t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s6Dw2lNVcEHjllibGjGekbQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x487977f6bd89a1b7:0x58604380f054ea05

Right, A Tennant's (later Whitbread's) house,with yellow tiles on it's frontage and was a few doors down from the old Pavilion Cinema.

Edited by stpetre
Add

to Plain Talker and Jimmy 1975;

thank you very much. Once I saw the photo I remembered it. It was 75 yards or so past the Pavilion on the same side ? I never went in I don't believe. I left Attercliffe in 1966 so it might not have been too popular with the younger crowd then ?

We tried to always find pubs with younger women in them, which was a job, as men were easily the majority in the pubs then !

Just a few doors down was Sheffield's first swop shop ,this was the for runner of all the second hand stores that trade today.

The shop window was a kaleidoscope of camera's,air rifles, toys' watches and rings along with a thousand other things.

I would spend hours looking into that shop window when down the Cliff.