Salutation Pub, Attercliffe Common.

It seems that many people yearn for the good old days of "Down 'cliff" with all the shops and people interacting & carrying on business. Could we go back in time ? Who knows ?

We would need an entreprenurial developer/builder to rebuild the Common, but there might have to be housing close by to sustain the place, in addition to the returnees. In the US they rebuild old frontier towns as they were, say in the 1890/1900s, with many shops for children, cafes/restaurant, cinema, saloons, fairground rides etc.

Attercliffe and Brightside are two Sheffield communities that, unusually, have lost all the generations that made them. The people are scattered around but many seem to be close by in Rotherham/Brinsworth etc and later developed areas of Sheffield

I see dozens of large "out of Sheffield" coaches parked at Meadowhall. Instead of just visiting Meadowhall maybe the inbound tourism companies could develop the Sheffield destination as a two visit destination ?

Cities such as London, Manchester, Edinburgh etc have many attractions. Sheffield ?

I am just coming up with ideas as I write. Maybe its possible to get support from the likes of Seb Coe or Sean Bean if the project looked viable ?

Would the owners of Meadowhall look at such a development ?

Would the Sheffield Tourism people look at it ? The Minister of Tourism ?

Would either of them consider funding a study to see if the project is viable ?

• 2 weeks later...
Seen a few photos of the Salutation pub that stood on Attercliffe Common, a corner pub with yellow and red tile on the outside. What was the pub like inside , what year did it close, Iv been told it ended its days as a gay pub/club with a different name?

The Salutation stands out for me, particularly for the year 1966- World Cup-. For the duration of the World cup in Sheffield the pubs all got an extension till 11pm.

I recall for the first week I was on afternoons at Edgars and used to get the bus home to Darnall and normally the pubs were closing. But not now, so I got the No24 or 69 and got off at the Pavilion and into the Sally and got the last forty minutes. It also helped that I liked Tennants.

I used to go in the concert room as there was a great Juke box and played a couple of my favourites, Sympathy by Rare Bird and Bowling Green by The Everly Brothers.

So I could get a few in and walk all the way home up Coleridge Road, after all it was summer and the weather was nice.

Right now it seems like yesterday!!

• 5 months later...