Why is it: Tooting your horn aggravates people in the UK

Another random thought.

Why do British Drivers take it as a personal insult when someone toots their horn.

I have to say, I'm probably as guilty as anyone. Someone 'pipped' me the other day, and my immediate reaction was to be irritated and mumble under my breath "What the hell are they pipping me for"....

Whereas, on the continent, it's just accepted as normality. Everyone does it, and for no particular reason. Nobody seems to get upset or bother too much about it. In fact it's an essential part of the driving culture.

People don't like to be bothered, and tooting the horn is a bother to them.

It also focuses the attention of everyone around onto you, and what you may or may not be doing.

No-one wants to feel like the entire street is scrutinising you.

People don't like to be bothered, and tooting the horn is a bother to them.

It also focuses the attention of everyone around onto you, and what you may or may not be doing.

No-one wants to feel like the entire street is scrutinising you.

So it's a 'British' thing?

Well going by experience, everyone on the roads in the UK is driving perfectly at all times and so tooting them insinuates they are not, thus this is why they show irritation at being wrongly accused.

I'm sure you've noticed while on holiday how often people sound their horn, and how little effect it has.

Whereas over here you may as well get out the car and smack them in the face for the amount of insult it carries.

I'm sure you've noticed while on holiday how often people sound their horn, and how little effect it has.

Whereas over here you may as well get out the car and smack them in the face for the amount of insult it carries.

Yes that's my point....I wonder why we're not as laid back about it?....For me personally, I only ever use my horn under serious circumstances....Almost to the point where I'm afraid to use it...and I have no idea why....But years ago, when driving on the continent (particularly in France and Italy)...I kinda really got 'into' using it....it was almost fun.

Another random thought.

Why do British Drivers take it as a personal insult when someone toots their horn.

I have to say, I'm probably as guilty as anyone. Someone 'pipped' me the other day, and my immediate reaction was to be irritated and mumble under my breath "What the hell are they pipping me for"....

Whereas, on the continent, it's just accepted as normality. Everyone does it, and for no particular reason. Nobody seems to get upset or bother too much about it. In fact it's an essential part of the driving culture.

I was once accused of tooting. Some loud mouth in a car wound down his window and said "dont effing toot me" to which i replied "it werent me, it was the van behind me". He looked at the van, saw them laughing and saw they were built like brick outhouses, said a rather sheepish sorry to me and wound up his window. Never said a word to the man mountains tho :hihi:

Well going by experience, everyone on the roads in the UK is driving perfectly at all times and so tooting them insinuates they are not, thus this is why they show irritation at being wrongly accused.

Do you think you have hit the nail on the head there?..."Being accused"