Why is it: Tooting your horn aggravates people in the UK

I've noticed it seems to make a marked difference, how long the horn is deployed. A quick 'toot' seems to be fine....But try holding it for more than a microsecond, and that's when people get really irked.

Another random thought.

Why do British Drivers take it as a personal insult when someone toots their horn.

I have to say, I'm probably as guilty as anyone. Someone 'pipped' me the other day, and my immediate reaction was to be irritated and mumble under my breath "What the hell are they pipping me for"....

Whereas, on the continent, it's just accepted as normality. Everyone does it, and for no particular reason. Nobody seems to get upset or bother too much about it. In fact it's an essential part of the driving culture.

No it isn't, not in the Northwestern countries anyway! I think the reason is that people feel it is a judgement on their driving ability and we live in a society where feedback is either not appreciated or so regulated that it is silly. See it as a by-product of the same idiocy that prevents failure of students 'because they tried'.

No it isn't, not in the Northwestern countries anyway! I think the reason is that people feel it is a judgement on their driving ability and we live in a society where feedback is either not appreciated or so regulated that it is silly. See it as a by-product of the same idiocy that prevents failure of students 'because they tried'.

I did actually qualify it later in another post to say it was predominantly in France and Italy....

I did actually qualify it later in another post to say it was predominantly in France and Italy....

Ah right, didn't read all of it :) Even in France it is mainly in Paris and the big cities only (or at least that is my experience) but the Italians like noise, as do the Greeks! I was unfortunate enough to spend a night in a hotel near a main through road in Greece and got woken up every five minutes by beeping cars, when I looked out the window they were usually the only thing there!:loopy:

Ah right, didn't read all of it :) Even in France it is mainly in Paris and the big cities only (or at least that is my experience) but the Italians like noise, as do the Greeks! I was unfortunate enough to spend a night in a hotel near a main through road in Greece and got woken up every five minutes by beeping cars, when I looked out the window they were usually the only thing there!:loopy:

Yikes...that must have been a nightmare.....:|

:huh:

... but not a very long one if he got woken up every 5 minutes? :suspect:

True! :)

----------------------

Does anyone admit to being 'Mr Angry' and being one of those people who lean on their horn for 10 seconds or so, for something fairly trivial?

Does anyone admit to being 'Mr Angry' and being one of those people who lean on their horn for 10 seconds or so, for something fairly trivial?
Yes. I'm French. It's genetics :D

Though some Britishness has permeated over time: I never sound the horn unless the 'trivial something' lasts (seemingly-) unendingly or is repeated serially, or is a stunning example of selfishness/stupidity. To err (once) is human, after all ;)

Example: muppet (genderless) in a queue of cars who goes through a light on amber at a crawl, only to then block a junction, instead of stopping at the light or at least leaving enough space between their car and the next car in queue, for cars to drive past/through. Can be observed daily on Brightside Lane near Weedon St. I'll be the car prevented from exiting, so moving slowly forward until an inch or two from their passenger door, with the horn permanently on until they eventually move.

Edited by L00b