Parking incident, who was wrong.

Went to shops today for some cash from ATM and to collect a prescription so expecting to be 10 minutes.

Parked on a large driveway with signs asking for it not to be blocked but only the left hand side leads to a garage door the right hand side leads to a pedestrian gate, there were cars parked either side of me.

When returning from ATM and going to Chemist there was a "gentlemen" blocking me in and unloading supplies for his shop so I took my time as any kind of confrontation would be pointless.

When I returned he had finished unloading and left his car blocking me in he did not know I had seen him and therefore knew who the car owner was.

My questions

Was I wrong as I think the space is classed as public highway but it is a driveway with a dropped kerb and I was not blocking any access as the pedestrian gate was metres away I think the guy thinks it's parking for him by virtue of some scabby signs when in fact it's not directly at the front or side of his business.

Was he wrong in blocking two cars in, I actually managed with some care to get out along the footpath.

What should I have done if I couldn't get out in the case of knowing and if I had not known whose car it was.

I'm fairly sure you have only broken the law if you blocked a car in on the driveway. However, morally...you parked on someone else's driveway?!?!?! Can you let me know your address so I can have some free parking when I'm in your area.

I would just like to clarify it was a driveway to nowhere with no house in sight just a pedestrian gate to the back of a row of shops, at least the bit that I was parked on and I believe the garage is not in use as it is in very poor condition. It looks to me like an ex driveway and there are different cars parked there every day as far as I know.

Can you link to Google Streetview?

Happy to tell you where it is it is the road between the Birley pub and Frecheville shops and as you go up its the parking on the right.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 16:31 ----------

Both of you.

You shouldn't be parking on someone else's land.

They shouldnt be obstructing the highway.

Was I parking on someone else's land or is someone trying to reserve public land for their own personal parking space.

Both of you.

You shouldn't be parking on someone else's land.

They shouldnt be obstructing the highway.

Did they do that?

Someone owns it, even if the garage appears to be unused, it's not going to be 'public land' is it.

Edited by Cyclone