Students who think they can walk in to a job!

What is it with students who think just because they have a degree they can walk into a job!!

Was listening to a discussion on the radio this morning and one student said " yea ill get a good degree and walk in to a good job"

How ignorant are some students?, dont they realise that a degree is not the be and end all!

For roles i have recruited for in the past i would much rather someone have real work and life experience rather than just getting a degree!

Anyone else think students are a tad arrogant when it comes to the jobs market?

Guest sibon

I think that I'd rather employ somebody who has studied hard for a qualification, in preference to someone who deals in prejudice and generalisation.

What is it with students who think just because they have a degree they can walk into a job!!

Was listening to a discussion on the radio this morning and one student said " yea ill get a good degree and walk in to a good job"

How ignorant are some students?, dont they realise that a degree is not the be and end all!

For roles i have recruited for in the past i would much rather someone have real work and life experience rather than just getting a degree!

Blame schools for the indoctrination, they are lead to believe that without a degree they won't get a job and with one they will find it easy to find a well paid job.

We get it. You don't like anyone who is better educated than you or has more aspirations than you. Stop banging on about it.

We get it. You're an academic underachiever who can't afford to live in the nicer parts of Sheffield (S10, S11, S8, S7, S17).

No, "life experience" should not valued more highly than spending all your years at school and beyond working hard to achieve highly and demonstrate a number of skills, particularly when students nowadays invariably combine this academic performance with various types of work experience to gain and demonstrate practical skills.

I hate this assumption from underachievers that doing badly is somehow a marker of superiority, backed up by ranting vaguely bout "life experience" and "down to earth" attitudes.

That student that the OP heard on the radio saying that he'll just walk into a job will be in a minority. I would imagine that most students are realistic these days about their chances.

When I graduated from university 20 years ago I was certainly aware that I wouldn't be walking into a 'graduate profession' straight away. I was very lucky though, I think I was one of the last cohort of young people that had a student grant & fees paid. I enjoyed studying, though to be fair the jobs I've held since graduating, a degree hasn't been necessary.

I wished people didn't have such a negative attitude towards students. They're just like everyone else - trying to get through life as best they can.

We get it. You're an academic underachiever who can't afford to live in the nicer parts of Sheffield (S10, S11, S8, S7, S17).

No, "life experience" should not valued more highly than spending all your years at school and beyond working hard to achieve highly and demonstrate a number of skills, particularly when students nowadays invariably combine this academic performance with various types of work experience to gain and demonstrate practical skills.

I hate this assumption from underachievers that doing badly is somehow a marker of superiority, backed up by ranting vaguely bout "life experience" and "down to earth" attitudes.

Thanks but actually i could:), I have not lived in Sheffield for many years, :)

I value the ability to demonstrate they can do a job and have had the relevant experience for more important then if they have a degree.

Oh and I also went to uni thanks :)

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 19:52 ----------

Blame schools for the indoctrination, they are lead to believe that without a degree they won't get a job and with one they will find it easy to find a well paid job.

Indeed, the value of degrees has been seriously watered down in recent years.

Not really. I think you're a tad arrogant to be honest. Some degrees involve work placements. Perfect for moving into the "real world".

By the way. You do know that you end questions with a question mark, don't you? Ironic seeing as you're ranting about educated people!