Big Issue banned by Waitrose

Or perhaps they should just complain, like the original disgruntled customers that have apparently caused this decision.

We have! Andy wasn't a problem so far as we are concerned and we have complained to the store manager who mentioned other people had complained about his removal as well. Also shopping far less there than we were before and if we can find another source to buy the things we buy there that we can't seem to get elsewhere then we won't be shopping there at all.

We have! Andy wasn't a problem so far as we are concerned and we have complained to the store manager who mentioned other people had complained about his removal as well. Also shopping far less there than we were before and if we can find another source to buy the things we buy there that we can't seem to get elsewhere then we won't be shopping there at all.

Exactly so why did they remove him because about 100 people had a bit of a winge. There has been no one who has posted either on here, twitter or online generally about any bad behaviour. It seems either this group doesnt have the guts to speak out openly. Or they dont exist and it was an excuse used by Waitrose to get rid.

Exactly so why did they remove him because about 100 people had a bit of a winge. There has been no one who has posted either on here, twitter or online generally about any bad behaviour. It seems either this group doesnt have the guts to speak out openly. Or they dont exist and it was an excuse used by Waitrose to get rid.

I believe they had complaints because I know two people (my next but one neighbours) who complained and quite open about it. Whether it was 100 or not I don't know. The pair of them are so up their own backsides tho. Apparently he was 'lowering the tone of the area'.

I believe they had complaints because I know two people (my next but one neighbours) who complained and quite open about it. Whether it was 100 or not I don't know. The pair of them are so up their own backsides tho. Apparently he was 'lowering the tone of the area'.

Brilliant thanks for that post. So that seems to be the reasoning behined the complaint. So we now have a problem. Waitrose want to have an alternative big issue seller there. They have said so in various articles. Yet we are going to go down the same route.

The problem isnt with Andy but the snobs who dont like the Big Issue sellers.

Brilliant thanks for that post. So that seems to be the reasoning behined the complaint. So we now have a problem. Waitrose want to have an alternative big issue seller there. They have said so in various articles. Yet we are going to go down the same route.

The problem isnt with Andy but the snobs who dont like the Big Issue sellers.

So people that don't like big issue sellers and Chuggers are snobs now?

It depends I suppose on your reason for not liking them. In the case I'm citing I can safely say they are snobs and that's their motivation but that's not to say that's the case for everyone I'd suggest.

To be honest I found him very annoying, but wouldn't have dreamt of making a complaint. I saw lots of people, mostly those, I think, who bought from him who seemed to have a good rapport and banter with him.

I am one of those who won't now buy the Big Issue - reasons = I don't think it now fulfils the original vision of being a temporary "leg-up" for people trying to turn round their lives. I used to work at the Cathedral Breakfast and would rather follow the advice of Alan, its Church Army founder, not to give directly to a person but to give to a charity supporting vulnerable people. Hence, I give to the YMCA Room Sponsor scheme.

To get back to Andy, I go in Waitrose several times a week and always replied "No, thank you" when asked to buy on the way in. He, without fail, asked me again on the way out (I say "No, thank you" and he says something like "have a nice day"). That's it, he is not aggressive, just a bit pushy for my liking, because he must recognise me and know that I never buy. But heigh ho, it's a free country, the fact that he irritates me is my problem, and I think it's because I have a bit of residual guilt that I now almost never buy the Big Issue.

By the way, Andy, to his credit ever the eternal optimist, asked me to buy when I passed him outside the Town Hall last Thursday - no problem, but I didn't buy one!

Now I despise Chuggers with a passion as they are out in numbers harass anyone that comes within 10 meters and are on £7 plus an hour for the privalidge.

As for Big Issue sellers they dont hassle people you can simply say no thank you.

Apparently he was 'lowering the tone of the area'.

How can you lower the tone of a car park in Sharrow? As I said many pages back, snobs.

---------- Post added 14-06-2015 at 17:29 ----------

.....are on £7 plus an hour for the privalidge.

Some privilege. £7 an hour.

---------- Post added 14-06-2015 at 17:29 ----------

Just the ones who shop at Waitrose.