Gridlock in Sheffield today (5/6/2015)

I don't know anything about water engineering, but I'm guessing to do so would involve properly closing it once for a few days or perhaps weeks. Which won't be great, but it'll be better than repeatedly closing it for a day or few every few months ad infinitum and wasting lots of money on a new surface.

My guess is they'll go for the latter.

I completely agree.

The leak is directly outside Bar one in the Students Union so the stretch of Glossop Road from the crossroads by the Harley to the West End pub (and where all the other roads are closed) is closed. Loads of diversions, loads of chaos all day - same burst pipe that has happen twice in last 2 years.

Think it's been at least twice in the last few months.

That'll be the day, people actually using smart phones for what they were designed to do, instead of having their noses stuck into Facebook and checking whats going off around them...
Or writing hypocritical posts on Sheffield Forum. :P

Smartphones are designed for you to do whatever interests or suits you. Not to do what sneery other people deem suitable.

Is Clarkson Street one way only still as well ?

Water mains burst something to do with the all the building work very close by maybe ?

Clarkson Street will, unbelievably, be one way until the back end of August.

Fortunately, I've found an alternative, rat-run route, to avoid the inevitable backed up traffic each morning.

Or writing hypocritical posts on Sheffield Forum. :P

Smartphones are designed for you to do whatever interests or suits you. Not to do what sneery other people deem suitable.

In what way hypocritical? I wasn't setting off for work smart Alec, or on my smart phone.