Best way to get insurance down?

Its the uninsured that makes it more expensive for those of us who are insured.
No it isnt. Thats bull, put out by insurance companies. They blame ambulance chaser too, also bull because when i had an accident my insurance company told the ambulance chaser and i was pestered for months.

This is a good place to start for information:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/young-drivers

Things like getting yourself as a listed driver but your parents as main driver (only if you live with them and they do drive the car on occasion otherwise this is fraud), putting a 'good' driver down as a listed driver (sounds counterintuitive but it works if they have a clean license for a number of years etc).

I suspect it's fraud if they aren't the main driver,I don't think "driving on occasion" is enough...

My wife passed recently and was getting quotes around the 1k mark, we went direct to Tesco and got a quote for one car at £350 (from £900 on comparison sites) and settled on a quote of just over £500 for the car we chose. Try quoting with them direct, you may be surprised.

Things like getting yourself as a listed driver but your parents as main driver (only if you live with them and they do drive the car on occasion otherwise this is fraud), putting a 'good' driver down as a listed driver (sounds counterintuitive but it works if they have a clean license for a number of years etc).

Surely not. If you are the main driver but take out insurance in a parent's name on the basis that he/she is the main driver, then that is still fronting. Also, you will not be earning your own NCD.

I agree with adding experienced drivers to your policy.

Also,depending on the value of the car, compare TPF&F with fully comp.

This is called fronting and is illegal and will void your insurance. If an incident occurs and the insurance find the young driver is not the insured if he/she is the main driver indemnity will be withdrawn and an insurance fraud case may be following quickly behind.

These insurance companies are not as stupid as some people think they are! (Why would a 50+ year old professional really buy a clapped out Peugeot 206 etc?)

Do common cars have lower premiums? E.g ford fiesta

When I was getting insurance quotes for my first car, I found cars that young people tend to go for were quite pricey on the insurance. For example, Clio, Corsa, Fiestas were all quite high. Cars I call 'grandad cars' were cheaper. For example Micra and Fabia. In the end I went for an 8 year old Punto which was somewhere inbetween. For my first year, age 22 I paid £1,600.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sibon

If you have a bit of spare cash, consider raising the voluntary excess. That is a sure fire way to reduce your premium (and focus your mind when driving)