Best way to get insurance down?

The only way my 17 year old son could afford insurance was with a telematics box. His friend passed the same day but got insured 3 weeks earlier than my son, his renewal has just come and its less than half the first years premium.

Im hoping when my sons comes it will be the same!! (Theyre with the same company)

This is called fronting and is illegal and will void your insurance. If an incident occurs and the insurance find the young driver is not the insured if he/she is the main driver indemnity will be withdrawn and an insurance fraud case may be following quickly behind.

These insurance companies are not as stupid as some people think they are! (Why would a 50+ year old professional really buy a clapped out Peugeot 206 etc?)

Fair enough, I withdraw that suggestion then :) although my second one of putting other 'named drivers' on does often help and isn't illegal :D

Speak to a broker - get them to do the legwork!

Ignore people who say group one cars are cheapest, they're not always. In my experience a group 1 Corsa has been much more expensive to insure than a higher group 2L diesel.

Other than that, get a tracker fitted, keep it garaged, look for any schemes which reduce premiums for new drivers who follow certain criteria - not carrying passengers, not driving late at night.

Crazy. But a 1.0 toyota yaris is only 200 quid less than a 230bhp 2.6 mazda rx8!

Remember that the risk of damage to your own car is only part of the insurance, it also has to cover the risk of damage that you may cause to everything else.

Try adding a responsible, older driver (e.g. your dad) on your insurance as a named driver. I've found before that adding somebody like that on would actually result in a lower premium! Obviously, only try adding somebody that is ok with it and that makes 'sense' - e.g. adding your dad is easy to explain as you may legitimately want your dad to be able to drive your car sometimes.

...Just done a quick Google search and found these tips, which include the one I mentioned at number 5: http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/news/Archive/10-steps-to-save-on-insurance-TODAY2/

Speak to a broker - get them to do the legwork!

Ignore people who say group one cars are cheapest, they're not always. In my experience a group 1 Corsa has been much more expensive to insure than a higher group 2L diesel.

Other than that, get a tracker fitted, keep it garaged, look for any schemes which reduce premiums for new drivers who follow certain criteria - not carrying passengers, not driving late at night.

Agree re the choice of car, not all group 1 cars are cheaper, as they are usually bought / insured / crashed by new drivers. Sometimes a sensible 1.6 or 2.0 car be cheaper.

Tracker is also a good idea, this is standard if you have a telematics box with the insurance.

However keeping it Garaged, sometimes, increases the premium.

Limited mileage may also reduce premiums.

My youngest passed a couple of years ago, aged 17. First year insurance was £2100 on a Ford KA. With a black box, and me on as a named driver.

After the first year it dropped below £600. This year it's dropped below £500