Going to the pictures, as we used to say

Wonder what happened to all the old short "B" pictures. Quite a few films on television that I can remember seeing at the "pictures", but no "B" pics.

They are available if you know where to look on the internet.

Everything from newsreels, cartoons, Bowery Boys, Leon Errol, Frank Randel, Old Mother Riley, and I mentioned in a post below Joe McDoakes, and Pete Smith Specials.

Caution, some of 'em are hard to watch today (Old Mother Riley, Frank Randel :))

---------- Post added 22-06-2015 at 21:20 ----------

Did anyone stand outside when an 'A' film was showing and ask , "tek one one in mester please". Wouldn't happen today.

We looked for a kind looking old lady with a bag of toffees!

Replying to the thread from Lazarus re old cinemas; the description of the 'gods' at the Hippodrome as like ' sitting on a rock face', made me laugh out loud!! I have never heard them so aptly described! My long ago cinemas were all in the Walkley, Crookes and Upperthorpe ares. Walkley Palladium, Crookes Palace(or could have been Cinema) and Oxford, Upperthorpe, Oh heady days!!!. Just remembered, The Scala.

Remember once sneaking into the Heeley green with a couple of other kids.

We weren't in for long though because it was an A film and the usherette came and asked us who we were with and the only thing I could think to say was they'd gone.

So they chucked us out !!!!

Happy days....

Edited by grinder

Used to go to the Kinema in Hillsborough,wander along the queue if it was an A catergory film and ask can yertekus in Mister dunt bear thinking about now days, afterwards call in Styrans sasparilla shop on Niddlewood Rd. or go to the Park Cinema now Asda further along Middlewood double seats were available for courting couples, Phoenix Cinema on Langsett Rd, opp top Morrisons entrance now Maplins,to go in the balcony you went up fifteen steps and came down fourteen [or so it seemed] Happy Days.

Remember once sneaking into the Heeley green with a couple of other kids.

We weren't in for long though because it was an A film and the usherette came and asked us who we were with and the only thing I could think to say was they'd gone.

So they chucked us out !!!!

Happy days....

We used to go in the "Green" around 1955-59.for mostly "A" films however we were anywhere from 11 years old to about 15. Who was the Usher was it Leo or Archie...something like that! The Heeley Coliseum also had an usher we used to make life miserable for by us sitting on the back row and rolling aniseed balls down the floor during the quiet part of the film! Happy times!!

It was Leo at the Heeley Coliseum I remember because my father knew him.

OUTDOORS

"can you take me in mister" You could usually get in two of my locals which were the Heeley Coliseum and Heeley Palace but the Abbeydale was a no-go as the commissionaire a chap called Horace had an eagle-eye and even if you got somebody to take you in as soon as you got near he would swoop and forbid them from doing it.

Edited by sharrovian
Mistake

• 7 months later...

Going to the Pictures, as we used to say.

Subtitled: Just thought I’d chip in.

Ref Post 12. Yes Jim, the Stanhope Road chippy was nearer to the Rex Picture Palace than Woodhouse Road chippy. My post refers to the period 1968-74. After those dates I don’t know in which years the below mentioned chippys (chippies) closed for business, which could then change the order in who is nearest to the Rex.

As the crow flies (or flew) the Stanhope Road chippy was nearest to the Rex, but for pedestrians I have slight doubts. There was a chippy on the left going up Hollinsend Road. The shop was situated where the chubby looking bungalows now stand, the ones with postage stamp sized ‘gardens’. Lol. It must also be pointed out that the shortest distance from the Rex to Stanhope Road chippy was via Hollinsend Road and not the Mansfield Road route. Although there may be only 50 yards in it. Lol. The Hollinsend Road chippy was opposite (but slightly higher up from) a grocers and a butchers shops.

There was another chips & snips shop nearer to the Rex than the one on Woodhouse Road. – Alnwick Road chippy. This is from memory.

In my opinion the chip shops in distance from the Rex are as follows:

The nearest first. I stand to be corrected.

1. Hollinsend Road – owned by a woman called Millie.

2. Stanhope Road – “ Green?

3. Alnwick Road. – Mr. Buxton. Shop stood atween Croft Road and Foxdale Ave. A butcher’s a few doors up.

4. Woodhouse Road - ?

5. Birley Moor Road? Frecheville shopping parade

6. Jaunty Way – Hopkinsons. He possibly had more chip shops – in town? If this chip shop is not reached via a shortcut through Jaunty Park, then it drops to 7th pla(i)ce.

7. Manor Top. ?

Enjoy the film, folks.