Going to the pictures, as we used to say

I remember The Rex, Gaumont, Abc and Studio 567 on the wicker LOL

Used to go to the ABC a lot saw films like Superman, Star wars, The Rescuers, The black hole....and kids saturday morning stuff.

Remember queuing round the block a couple of times at least

Great post!

One of our locals, the Carleton never advertised in the Star.

We knew what was playing by word of mouth.

The Carlton on the Arbourthorne was known as little Chicago as it usually showed gangster films staring Edward G Robinson, Humphrey Bogart or Spencer Tracy .

I remember seeing loads of the 80s blockbusters at the ABC and the Gaumont: Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Footloose, Top Gun... you need a huge screen and a massive auditorium for the proper atmosphere.

Having said that, I remember the old Fiesta of the late 80s fondly too, and that was a poky old flea pit.

The Carlton on the Arbourthorne was known as little Chicago as it usually showed gangster films staring Edward G Robinson, Humphrey Bogart or Spencer Tracy .

Mostly low budget "Republic Pictures" and serials with B stars Rod Cameron, Vera Ralston, Ruth Roman etc.

To see mainstream films it was Heeley Green or the Manor.

Musicals and bigger budget films were at the Heeley Palace, the Abbeydale and down town.

I have collected most of the films I saw growing up.

Remember these?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/BBFCCert.png

Edited by trastrick

My grandma and aunts went often to the Heeley Green. I went with them alt least twice a week for years.

Then an uncle was an usher at the Carleton so we got comps twice a week.

It was a big part of my life and fueled the desire to get out of then dirty poor Sheffield (I finished up in Canada)

Now I have my 55 inch LED and a collection of old movies the Heeley Green could only dream of!

I can do a cartoon, maybe a Joe McDoakes, or a Bowery Boys to start, then the BIG picture, Gone with the wind, Casablanca, or Jamaica Inn.

Another night it could be a Pete Smith Special, or a Joe Palooka, then Double Indemnity.

And none of that streaky, jumpy, bad sound stuff. Most of these old movies have been cleaned up and digitally improved better than we ever saw as kids.

A fridge full of food and central heating. No long traipse home in winter!

Ya gotta love technology

But you have to live with the Leafs, my team however are the Habs. Nobody else on here will know what I'm talking about, but I think you will. All the best:)

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 15:21 ----------

Abbeydale picture palace, and the drinks shop nearby. Horlicks in a proper Horlicks type.mug.
Supping sasparilla, if nowt good on the Abbey, down Broadfield road to the Coli or Heeley Palace. Happy days, long gone.

But you have to live with the Leafs, my team however are the Habs. Nobody else on here will know what I'm talking about, but I think you will. All the best:).

Thanks, best to you!

As the Blades fans used to say, there's always next year!

But, aside from the Leafs, I have a niece playing for Colgate U and they are winning this year.

But you have to live with the Leafs, my team however are the Habs. Nobody else on here will know what I'm talking about, but I think you will. All the best:)

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 15:21 ----------

Supping sasparilla, if nowt good on the Abbey, down Broadfield road to the Coli or Heeley Palace. Happy days, long gone.

Hey ,check the final American League East base ball standings for 2015.:cool: I would post it, if I knew how. Never been a make beliefs fan by the way ;) lol

Edited by TORONTONY

Hey ,check the final American League East base ball standings for 2015.:cool: I would post it, if I knew how. Never been a make beliefs fan by the way ;) lol

North American cities have 4 or 5 major league teams, baseball, basketball, hockey, football and soccer.

And all free on TV.

So you're not stuck waiting for 50 years to see a champion :)

North American cities have 4 or 5 major league teams, baseball, basketball, hockey, football and soccer.

And all free on TV.

So you're not stuck waiting for 50 years to see a champion :)

My point was that Buck, who clearly likes New England sports teams , Habs excepted, and was having a dig at Toronto sports, should remember that The Toronto Blue Jays won the AL East title last year, with the Boston Red Sox in last place. By the way, there is no such thing as free TV... LOL;)

Oh, dear. We've strayed into sports. Well, my biggest disappointment is twofold. First, the choking of the Blue Jays in the ALCS playoffs last year (though I was glad they at least got there) and second, the Habs showing so much early season promise then going progressively downhill.

Back to the pictures. Do you remember when some films had "continuous" showings. You could enter the cinema mid way through a film and stay there until it went right around again. Or longer. I'm sure some people would spend half the day in there and see the film a couple of times through.If the cinema filled up, a queue of people would form outside and people would be allowed in as others left. The Cinema House in Barker's Pool was well known for that. A bloke would go up and down the line: "Two seats on the front row. Not together," he'd shout until a couple of customers emerged to take up the offer.