Going to the pictures, as we used to say

Hey ,check the final American League East base ball standings for 2015.:cool: I would post it, if I knew how. Never been a make beliefs fan by the way ;) lol
Looking at the baseball tables would only depress me if I was an ardent redsox fan, but I'm not. The habs aren't doing that well either, neither is Chelsea (great). My greatest pleasure is the University of Connecticut Lady Huskies Basketball team who have a record NCAA National Championships, a winning streak close to 100, and are filling baseball arenas over 10,000 people where women used to average less than 1000. Well worth the $20.00 seat.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 12:20 ----------

Thanks, best to you!

As the Blades fans used to say, there's always next year!

But, aside from the Leafs, I have a niece playing for Colgate U and they are winning this year.

What sport does your niece play? Women play great college sports on this continent. I already made mention about UConn women's basketball, as well as soccer, softball, even ice hockey. Kia Nurse, from Hamilton, Ontario plays for Uconn, and was instrumental in beating the US

National team playing for Canada in a recent Championship. We'll forgive her though, just keep winning , Kia.:)

No, you did absolutely the right thing echo. I smoked for about 25 years. Gave it up in 1978. Never looked back. I'm not sure what percentage of people would have smoked back when folk used to go to the pictures, but it would have been much higher than today. In any event, nobody seemed to mind that their eyes might be watering during the showing, the view of the pic looked at through a curtain of smoke, their lungs full of second hand smoke, and the fact that they would come out with their clothes smelling of cigarette smoke. Values have changed.

Yes soft ayperth the the fact that tobacco smoke permeates every material seems to bypass smokers. They appear impervious to the smell.

Some years ago we bought a really tidy Nissan Micra as a second car. The only trouble was that the owner had been a heavy smoker and the interior roof lining was tan instead of white! A good clean with meths did the trick and even the windscreen proved to be filthy.

On another occasion we went to a fundraising event in a local pub only to be driven out prematurely because our eyes were watering so much by the smokey atmosphere. Perhaps we were too sensitive, but we found no pleasure in such an environment. Thank goodness that situation cannot be repeated nowadays.

echo.

echo.

Yes soft ayperth the the fact that tobacco smoke permeates every material seems to bypass smokers. They appear impervious to the smell.

Some years ago we bought a really tidy Nissan Micra as a second car. The only trouble was that the owner had been a heavy smoker and the interior roof lining was tan instead of white! A good clean with meths did the trick and even the windscreen proved to be filthy.

On another occasion we went to a fundraising event in a local pub only to be driven out prematurely because our eyes were watering so much by the smokey atmosphere. Perhaps we were too sensitive, but we found no pleasure in such an environment. Thank goodness that situation cannot be repeated nowadays.

echo.

echo.

I was visiting England mid 90's and the only flight I could get to suit my vacation time was a KLM flight to Amsterdam and a transfer by UK Air to Manchester. Well .being a smoker I was delighted to find that KLM were still allowing smoking at the back end of their planes. However on my return trip I was seated in the aisle and so was a chain smoker right across from me, with the air vents flowing towards me. Was I ever glad when that flight was over.:gag:

The Abbeydale was my local, I remeber seeing people almost 'round the block' waiting to get in!! The first picture I rmemember seeing there was The cruel sea, my father took me and my friend to see it!! What he was thinking goodness knows, we could only have been 7 or 8 years old. I do remember standing for the national anthem though.

I used to mmet a friend at the Concourse in the ABC on a Sunday evening, we were both 'courting' and used to catch up over a coffee, good times.

Used to go to the Kinema in Hillsborough,wander along the queue if it was an A catergory film and ask can yertekus in Mister dunt bear thinking about now days, afterwards call in Styrans sasparilla shop on Niddlewood Rd. or go to the Park Cinema now Asda further along Middlewood double seats were available for courting couples, Phoenix Cinema on Langsett Rd, opp top Morrisons entrance now Maplins,to go in the balcony you went up fifteen steps and came down fourteen [or so it seemed] Happy Days.

Used to go to the Phoenix every Saturday night after my mother had finished with the newspaper business we had and I had sold the Green un outside the burnaby club. Same seats every week and if it was an A film well not a problem as our next door neighbour worked in the ticket box. memories

Looking at the baseball tables would only depress me if I was an ardent redsox fan, but I'm not. The habs aren't doing that well either, neither is Chelsea (great). My greatest pleasure is the University of Connecticut Lady Huskies Basketball team who have a record NCAA National Championships, a winning streak close to 100, and are filling baseball arenas over 10,000 people where women used to average less than 1000. Well worth the $20.00 seat.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 12:20 ----------

What sport does your niece play? Women play great college sports on this continent. I already made mention about UConn women's basketball, as well as soccer, softball, even ice hockey. Kia Nurse, from Hamilton, Ontario plays for Uconn, and was instrumental in beating the US

National team playing for Canada in a recent Championship. We'll forgive her though, just keep winning , Kia.:)

She plays ice hockey. A lot of the girls that play in the ECAC are from Canada.

echo.

echo.

I remember when I used to smoke the ceiling had nicotine stains all over it. :hihi:

Back then, you'd never dream of holding a party without supplying a generous number of ash trays. Or, the shag carpet would have cigarette burns on it. If an ashtray wasn't available at the eating table, people would use a dinner plate or saucer to stub their butts out on. To return to the topic of cinemas, all seats as I recall had ashtrays built into their arms. But, people would often use the floor and their feet anyway.