Smart Meters Thread

We switched from British Gas few years ago to another supplier ( not big 4).

They were installing smart meters and I thought it was compulsory, probably then because if the media coverage.

We are probably on the first generation of meters installed, so know these sometime do have reading issues.

22 minutes ago, zaci said:

The only thing my smart meter saves, is me having to read the meter!!   Well it did until i changed suppliers to get a better deal, my new supplier has just informed me that my smart meter isn't compatible with their system, so its back to taking my own readings and sending them online. Just been  told by my mate that i can find the readings displayed somewhere on my not so smart meter.   At least it means i wont have to go groveling down in the cellar.

My bold. 

Saw something along these lines in a consumer programme on tv a while back.  The programme also mentioned that some companies were still installing their old stock of 1st generation meter & that if you do wish to have one installed, you must insist that it's a more improved 2nd generation meter. 

7 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

It still leaves the fact that the only ones to profit are the power companies, which is what this thread is about.

If the costs to power companies decline, just like in the summer when energy prices decline, then prices to the consumer also declines.

That is the same in any business.

42 minutes ago, El Cid said:

If the costs to power companies decline, just like in the summer when energy prices decline, then prices to the consumer also declines.

That is the same in any business.

I don't believe it - they will not give the consumers anything unless they are forced into it as they were  by Theresa May.

I've never noticed energy prices going down since the installation of the first  Smart Meters.

16 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I don't believe it - they will not give the consumers anything unless they are forced into it as they were  by Theresa May.

I've never noticed energy prices going down since the installation of the first  Smart Meters.

The energy tariffs which are paperless, online and use smart meters are lower than the others, so that proves technology saves you money.

What tariff are you on?

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

The energy tariffs which are paperless, online and use smart meters are lower than the others, so that proves technology saves you money.

What tariff are you on?

No idea as I don't deal with it . It's my partners realm.

She checks what's happening and switches suppliers quite often so I doubt we are being robbed.

Don't know whether you work for the energy companies but,   I AM STILL NOT HAVING A SMART METER.

8 hours ago, El Cid said:

The tariffs that you speak of (and also those using Direct Debit) give the energy providers more power to collect money from your account, make savings by not sending you paper bills, and tying you to the internet.  All much easier and cheaper for them of course, and gives them more power now (and significantly more with the next generation of smart meters - as discussed earlier).  Not everybody can take advantage of them of course, as not everybody is on the net (and not everybody that is on the net wants to run all their finances from the net).

Dual pricing works for companies and those willing to sign up for it all, at the expense of the rest, particularly the elderly.

18 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Don't know whether you work for the energy companies but,   I AM STILL NOT HAVING A SMART METER.

Not sure what the issue with your attitude is? Why do you need to belittle people or make sweeping accusations just because you're a luddite?

36 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Not sure what the issue with your attitude is? Why do you need to belittle people or make sweeping accusations just because you're a luddite?

No isue at al except being averse to being told what to do by someone else who's been conned by the energy companies and doesn't even know it.

Don't know whether I'm a Luddite or not but it doesn't worry me in the least.