EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

The same prediction about the days of London as a global financial centre being numbered were also made at the time the UK rejected the single European currency project. In fact, London's position in this regard strengthened, not weakened, after the introduction of the euro.
I'd have argued they were wrong at the time, as it stands fully to reason that the City would be unaffected, since the UK was an EU member state before and after this rejection, whence the City would continue to fulfil its EU-inward facilitating role for outra-EU investors unmolested.

The goalposts are rather different this time around. But you knew that.

Edited by L00b

I'd have argued they were wrong at the time, as it stands fully to reason that the City would be unaffected, since the UK was an EU member state before and after this rejection.

The goalposts are rather different this time around. But you knew that.

What I do know is that we are living in the era of globalisation, not least in the context of financial services of all kinds. Finance is now a global industry, with London being the world's largest financial centre in several key respects. Brexit is unlikely to change this.

Would you like to talk to me instead?

I know we disagree, often annoy each other, but I'm not Sutty.

What do you think of my point to L00b that there are 2 propositions in conflict.

1. EU tariffs are not inhibiting UK trade with the rest of the world

2. Being outside the single market (and therefore potentially subject to those tariffs) would adversely impact UK trade with the EU.

Serious question. Do you envisage a post-Brexit UK trading with the rest of the world on a tariff-free basis?

If so, explain how you think it would work.

The average man on the street, who couldn't care less about gdp, tariffs etc will vote out.

I was having a pint and a game of snooker with my dad last week, and he said, and I quote "I don't give a toss about politics but I'm voting out cos im sick of this country and the way it's run!"

I tried to explain that he needs to vote locally etc but my dad is an old fashioned type, who thinks that all politicians are cut from the same cloth,and this is what the in party have to fight against.

I think the vote results so far are telling in itself.

Webby, that is one of the key issues, your dad is part of a disenfranchised generation who don't understand the way the world is going. Effectively he is telling the youngsters (like you and me and *unfortunately* a lot younger) that he is happy to vote against the national government, just to spite them, without actually taking our needs into consideration.

How do you know what the poster's household income is? Bragging about your income is hardly a good debating point.

I have a fair history with this particular poster and their various incarnations. How about you do some debating.

What I do know is that we are living in the era of globalisation, not least in the context of financial services of all kinds. Finance is now a global industry, with London being the world's largest financial centre in several key respects. Brexit is unlikely to change this.

London is seen as the financial capital of Europe, with Frankfurt hot on its tail. Leave the EU and that will change dramatically, not in the least because a Brexit will finally enable the EU to push through protection against rampant bankers. I remind you of 2010/11 when the whole forum was up in arms against bankers. The only people with influence in this country that actually did something to kerb banks' stupidities was the EU.

Thanks for contributing though!

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 19:19 ----------

I won't loose anything, leaving means I will be better off, how much will you loose.

lose* come on Sutty, I thought you were a true Brit. Now explain to me how you will be better off, in practical and realistic terms.

Edited by tzijlstra

Serious question. Do you envisage a post-Brexit UK trading with the rest of the world on a tariff-free basis?

If so, explain how you think it would work.

I doubt it.

But I don't think it's a serious problem.

I think that UK businesses would benefit from not having to comply with EU regulation for non-EU trade.

I also think that the EU is rather bad at negotiating simple free trade agreements, so we'd overtake them in that regard before too long.

I also think that the net wealth transfers from the UK to the rest of the EU would be useful for our public services, and that the UK government should decide on what is currently "EU spending" in the UK. It's our money after all.

Furthermore I think that these wealth transfers are going to keep growing as the EU lurches from crisis to crisis with no end in sight.

But as I've said my concerns are more over sovereignty as the economic effect on the UK (positive or negative) is likely to be rather small.

Edited by unbeliever