EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

I also think that the net wealth transfers from the UK to the rest of the EU would be useful for our public services, and that the UK government should decide on what is currently "EU spending" in the UK. It's our money after all.

Furthermore I think that these wealth transfers are going to keep growing as the EU lurches from crisis to crisis with no end in sight.

You're assuming the current and future British governments will repurpose all or a substantial portion of EU money (which is IOUs at that level, not cold hard cash) towards public services.

What if they don't, for instance opting to curb the country's indebtment instead (a laudable goal in and of itself, to be sure)?

What if they can't, for instance if UK plc hiccups so bad for a year or three post-Brexit that tax income drops off a cliff instead (and again)?

[i remind you that the more serious end of the Brexiting spectrum have readily admitted the strong likelihood of a recession in the UK post-Brexit]

Genuine questions, not meant to be rhetoric.

What I do know is that we are living in the era of globalisation, not least in the context of financial services of all kinds. Finance is now a global industry, with London being the world's largest financial centre in several key respects. Brexit is unlikely to change this.
In this era of globalisation, free and unimpeded movement of capital between countries counts for a lot indeed.

It's not just people who move freely in the EU: goods and money do too.

Get out of the EU = lose the capacity and competitive advantage of moving [investment/capital/revenue/dividends/etc-] money about freely (within a legal, statutory sense) anywhere within the EU.

Now do you understand how and why the City was unaffected by the UK's rejection of the € but is going to get two black eyes and lose half its teeth in case of a Brexit? ;)

Edited by L00b

The people of this world have never been 'in this together' and there are countless examples of how divided we are around the world today. You're a fantasist.

Islam is to blame plain and simple for the problems in the Muslim world. We can't fix it and we should simply leave them alone to enjoy the fruits of their religion and culture and they should leave us alone.

Just like catholicism was to blame for IRA?

Perhaps we shoulda left them alone too.

Sticking your head in sand won't make this problem go away Zamo.

Muslims are biggest victims of extremist violence.

ALL of us working TOGETHER to find solutions, is ONLY way.

Because there's only one world and we're all NEIGHBOURS

Like it or not, extremism is EVERYONE's problem.

Just like catholocism was to blame for IRA?

Perhaps we shoulda left them alone too.

Sticking your head in sand won't make this problem go away Zamo.

Muslims are biggest victims of extremist violence.

ALL of us working TOGETHER to find solutions, is ONLY way.

Because there's only one world and we're all NEIGHBOURS

Like it or not, extremism is EVERYONE's problem.

Have you ever had a job and paid taxes?

It all seems so simple until someone has to work hard to pay for it.

Our culture is prosperous, theirs is not.

If they want to stick with their culture of rape and violence why should we try to forcefully help them.

Someone tried that not so long ago in Afghanistan. Didn't exactly turn out as expected. They had quite modern society in Iran with educated women and such before islamic revolution.

It's like that guy who lives down the road - sponger and drug addict.

He thinks he is fine living on backs of others having no job.

As soon as you try to help him he will steal tools from your shed, sell them to cash converters and blow everything on smack.

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

There are three things that are bandied about as reasons to stay in the eu which are likely to affect ordinary people. These are

1. You can retire to live in other eu countries no problem. I agree you can if you have the money to do so. There are thousands of oaps living below the Bread line ( source help the aged ) , more living below the broad line than retired to the eu. So the chances of you being able to do this are at best 50/50 especially with the ending of final salary pension schemes.

2. You can work anywhere in the eu. Now a potato picker in Eastern Europe earning 50p an hour will definitely come to uk to pick spuds for minimum wage earning ten times his old wage. But a shop worker here earning minimum wage, do you think they will go to say Latvia to earn a pound an hour in a shop, if they do they are idiots. The right to work abroad applies to a very small minority of uk citizens, do you know anyone that works abroad, I know of one who is a relative of an in law, so again the chance of working abroad for ordinary people, other than summer job in Ibiza, is very low.

3. Cheap travel/holidays in the eu. I have just booked my holiday for 2017. Two weeks in a three bed villa in Florida for myself, wife, two adult kids. USA is non European country, total cost £3600. Compare with two week villa in Greece with James villas total cost £4100. The villas are on a par with each other, I am travelling much further to the USA, same weeks, no car hire for either holiday, one country in Eu one not yet the non eu option is £500 cheaper, so much for cheap travel/ holidays in Europe. There will be some saying I can get it cheaper and that is true for both destinations, self catering Greece, fly drive Florida etc. The argument is that cheap travel/ holidays is not dependent on being in the eu, it is driven like most things by market forces.

I have not been dissuaded at this time and will still be voting OUT because the eu has an adverse effect on me, my family, my kids futures, the social services and healthcare systems I use, my country.

You may well say my kids will be affected, well they will not at this time and are likewise voting out. One of my sons works for Boots which owns Walgreens in USA and is in management, he is working towards going to the USA to work and not the eu. The other lad is the shop assistant mentioned earlier and will not be going to run to work for a quid an hour.

Each person has to view this vote on how it affects themselves and those closest to them and vote accordingly. The threats issued which always include the words, may, could, might, possibly and never include the words will or definitely are just supposition. Even the big threats tend to be things that ordinary people cannot influence or have any bearing on, how can the shop worker from shire green voting out start WW3 it's ridiculous scaremongering and each side is pathetic in this respect but especially the Govt on the remain side. We will see how the garage/ Cameron debate goes on June 7th, I think garage will decimate him but may be wrong, will wait and see. Happy voting.

There are three things that are bandied about as reasons to stay in the eu which are likely to affect ordinary people. These are

1. You can retire to live in other eu countries no problem. I agree you can if you have the money to do so. There are thousands of oaps living below the Bread line ( source help the aged ) , more living below the broad line than retired to the eu. So the chances of you being able to do this are at best 50/50 especially with the ending of final salary pension schemes.

2. You can work anywhere in the eu. Now a potato picker in Eastern Europe earning 50p an hour will definitely come to uk to pick spuds for minimum wage earning ten times his old wage. But a shop worker here earning minimum wage, do you think they will go to say Latvia to earn a pound an hour in a shop, if they do they are idiots. The right to work abroad applies to a very small minority of uk citizens, do you know anyone that works abroad, I know of one who is a relative of an in law, so again the chance of working abroad for ordinary people, other than summer job in Ibiza, is very low.

3. Cheap travel/holidays in the eu. I have just booked my holiday for 2017. Two weeks in a three bed villa in Florida for myself, wife, two adult kids. USA is non European country, total cost £3600. Compare with two week villa in Greece with James villas total cost £4100. The villas are on a par with each other, I am travelling much further to the USA, same weeks, no car hire for either holiday, one country in Eu one not yet the non eu option is £500 cheaper, so much for cheap travel/ holidays in Europe. There will be some saying I can get it cheaper and that is true for both destinations, self catering Greece, fly drive Florida etc. The argument is that cheap travel/ holidays is not dependent on being in the eu, it is driven like most things by market forces.

I have not been dissuaded at this time and will still be voting OUT because the eu has an adverse effect on me, my family, my kids futures, the social services and healthcare systems I use, my country.

You may well say my kids will be affected, well they will not at this time and are likewise voting out. One of my sons works for Boots which owns Walgreens in USA and is in management, he is working towards going to the USA to work and not the eu. The other lad is the shop assistant mentioned earlier and will not be going to run to work for a quid an hour.

Each person has to view this vote on how it affects themselves and those closest to them and vote accordingly. The threats issued which always include the words, may, could, might, possibly and never include the words will or definitely are just supposition. Even the big threats tend to be things that ordinary people cannot influence or have any bearing on, how can the shop worker from shire green voting out start WW3 it's ridiculous scaremongering and each side is pathetic in this respect but especially the Govt on the remain side. We will see how the garage/ Cameron debate goes on June 7th, I think garage will decimate him but may be wrong, will wait and see. Happy voting.

What about, it's in the country's interest to be inside the world's biggest economy?

Bloody auto correct, it's farage not garage,

---------- Post added 12-05-2016 at 11:07 ----------

Matter of opinion, I am bothered how it affects me and mine not the businessman who is making millions.

I know there is a large amount of rhetoric regarding Muslims due to the immigration crisis but that is just one facet of this argument. I have friends who are British Muslims and proud to be so. They complain how they cannot get family members from Asia to the uk for weddings etc ( visiting, not wanting to stay or claim benefits ) yet Eastern Europeans can just walk in and start claiming, they see this as unfair and I agree with them.

I know there is a large amount of rhetoric regarding Muslims due to the immigration crisis but that is just one facet of this argument. I have friends who are British Muslims and proud to be so. They complain how they cannot get family members from Asia to the uk for weddings etc ( visiting, not wanting to stay or claim benefits ) yet Eastern Europeans can just walk in and start claiming, they see this as unfair and I agree with them.

Because they are Europeans ?

How is leaving or staying in the EU going to get more Muslims into the UK for weddings?